January Transfer Window 2019/20

Caporegime
It was just a tongue in cheek comment. Who knows whether he'll be a success if Utd sign him - we've seen loads of players look like world beaters in the French, Dutch or Portuguese Leagues and then flop here though and the whole world knew he was available in the summer but nobody moved for him, which tells you at the least that sides have reservations over him.

Memphis Depay comes to mind. I think people were looking to see if Fernandes was a one season wonder but he seems just as good this season. The main thing I have seen is he can pick out a pass and actually take corners which is what we are serious lacking.

How many clubs were in for Salah and VVD? Liverpool pretty much had a clear run at them because people had reservations and look how they turned out.

Last edited:
Don
Memphis Depay comes to mind. I think people were looking to see if Fernandes was a one season wonder but he seems just as good this season. The main thing I have seen is he can pick out a pass which is what we are serious lacking.

How many clubs were in for Salah and VVD? Liverpool pretty much had a clear run at them because people had reservations and look how they turned out.
I'm not aware of huge interest in Salah but City and Chelsea were briefing their local press that they were confident of signing VVD - James Ducker infamously writing that he would be joining City 'as back-up for Stones and Otamendi' a week or so before he joined us. Don't take this the wrong way but Liverpool have been a lot smarter than most clubs when it comes to transfers over the past 5 years too. The summer we signed Salah wasn't the start of our interest in him either - we tried and failed to sign him before he joined Chelsea, so we were at least confident in him succeeding. The fact that Fernandes was being whored out all over Europe is somewhat significant too - there was no obstacle of an unwilling seller or difficulties in persuading a player to move. Had any big European side wanted Fernandes, they got him last summer without too much fuss. That isn't the case with most £50m transfers.

I'm not saying he will flop but you can't just point to his record in a 2nd rate league as proof he's a top player and or will succeed in the PL. Fwiw, I follow a few statto accounts on twitter and when discussing him last summer the issue they raised re Fernandes was his underlying numbers in European games weren't up to much.

edit: if you want an example to cling onto then Eriksen before he moved to Spurs. Like Fernandes he was being heavily linked with every major side but for whatever reason nobody moved for him despite the fact he was available for a fairly modest fee. Spurs took a bit of a punt on him and it paid off big time.

Don
It'll be interesting to see how relegation effects Villa, assuming they do go down because as things stand I can see Grealish being another Zaha where he's priced out of a move. If anybody approached Villa now I'd bet they be demanding something stupid like £100m and nobody is paying that.

Caporegime
Villa dont need the money the owners are mega rich
True, but if Grealish wants to play for England he will really need to be playing regularly in the EPL and ideally for a team that plays regularly in Europe too. He’ll get neither at Villa. If he wants a move history has shown that he will get one eventually. He’d be a good addition at Spurs as Eriksen’s replacement who should have been sold last summer.

Soldato
True, but if Grealish wants to play for England he will really need to be playing regularly in the EPL and ideally for a team that plays regularly in Europe too. He’ll get neither at Villa. If he wants a move history has shown that he will get one eventually. He’d be a good addition at Spurs as Eriksen’s replacement who should have been sold last summer.

We turned down £35m for him from Spurs when we were in he Championship. His PL performances are only going to increase to his value from that if we go down. He bleeds Villa and I'll honestly be surprised if he ever leaves.

Soldato
We turned down £35m for him from Spurs when we were in he Championship. His PL performances are only going to increase to his value from that if we go down. He bleeds Villa and I'll honestly be surprised if he ever leaves.

rubbish, he will bleed whatever his agent tells him to bleed. This time next year when Villa are back in the championship, Grealish will be kissing the badge of another club saying how much he bleeds "insert EPL club here" that he is now playing for.

Back
Top Bottom