Java... Recommending I uninstall it?

Soldato
So, I've just gone to update Java (admittedly for the first time in a few months), and was surprised by the text box that popped up - I was told that since I've not used Java in at least 6 months, I should just uninstall it.

This was Java's own wizard telling me this, not Windows. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea, but I'm just surprised Oracle actually recommending I uninstall something of theirs, even if it does have a few vulnerabilities :confused:

Anyone else come across this?

Soldato
Yep, had it on a few work PCs when I've gone to update them. I think the issue is that if you've not used Java in 6 months then it isn't worth the hassle of having it installed, not updating it and getting affected by any of the security vulnerabilities.

Associate
As someone else mentioned above. Its that full of security holes it gets updates and mini updates all the time. Delivered through that launcher thingy it installs. If your not updating it regularly you will be running an insecure version.
TBH unless your developing stuff using java or running something that needs it (minecraft for example) there is no reason to have it installed.

Back
Top Bottom