JEDEC Confirms CAMM2 Memory For Desktop PCs: DDR6 Up To 17.6 Gbps & LPDDR6 Up To 14.4 Gbps

Soldato
OP
Looks like MSI will be showcasing their Project Zero board at computex with the new CAMM2 memory "slot" if you can call it that. Looks okay on a board with all the connectors on the rear but still can't see this happening on a regular board. Imagine how it would work on a Matx or even itx board.

I looked at CAMM2 desktop prototype and compared to DIMM, noticed CAMM2 length is about 40% smaller than DIMM slot length and CAMM2 wide is the same size as 3 DIMM slots, smaller than 4 DIMM slots size. CAMM2 on riser card or slim CAMM2 could work fine on MATX and ITX board.

Soldato
OP
I'd be amazed if we got DDR6 in 2026 considering JEDEC are due to ratify their updated DDR5 standard in Q2 next year. I can see 2028 but 2026 seems way too early.
No 2028 is very long time away.

Interesting, Nvidia plan to launch next gen Blackhawk ARM AI SoC CPU with Blackwell GPU and LPDDR6 memory at end of 2024.

I googled LPDDR6 found JEDEC will publish LPDDR6 final spec in Q3 2024.

It seemed both LPDDR6 and DDR6 was completed development that already met JEDEC planned final spec many months before launch date.

LPDDR6 will launch in 2025 and DDR6 should launch in 2026, it all make sense.

Soldato
OP
This wont be coming to desktops anytime soon, if ever......look at the MSI board picture, it takes up more than 4 slots of space now, people are forgetting about 1 DPC boards (mATX and ITX) theres no room for it.

I now managed to measured ATX connector, it is about 50mm length with 24 pins. So Kingston Fury desktop CAMM2 prototype wide size is about 40mm aligned to ATX connector's 20 pins, CAMM2 length is about 80mm. That is much smaller than DDR5 DIMM slot length 150mm and 4 DIMM slots wide size is about 40mm.

Yep it will absolutely certainly fit in MATX motherboards which all has 4 DIMM slots as standard like Z790M AORUS ELITE AX:

Kingston Fury desktop CAMM2 prototype could theoretical fit in ITX motherboard like Z790I AORUS ULTRA if all ATX and SATA3 connectors moved to back of motherboard or use small laptop CAMM2 module or maybe CAMM2 memory riser?

Soldato
OP
Interesting! Look like CAMM2 will fit on ITX motherboard if ATX and SATA3 connectors moved to back of motherboard.

A08W7uc.jpg

Users can connect ATX power connector and SATA3 cables at back of case.

ilmHJvL.jpg

PyrQs8h.jpg

CAMM2 memory sit on about 10mm above CAMM connector height will have around 80mm X 60mm of huge empty space on motherboards.

CAMM2 memory will come to desktop later in 2024, ASRock will launch OC Formula Z890 motherboard feature CAMM2 memory.

Soldato
OP
Asus board with camm2 ddr5 running at 7500mhz, Asus claim under 50c temps
No it not running at 7500MHz, actually it running at 8000Mhz and temp is 41C.

9w5ZpTw.jpg

41C!!! :eek: Wow that incredible without memory heatsink, my GSKill DDR4 3200MHz has RGB heatsinks and temp is about 45C. I googled DDR5 8000MHz temp found someone got GSKill sticks with heatsinks got high temp at 62C so without heatsink temp probably could be about 72C.

If Kingston Fury CAMM2 has heatsink on then temp would be about 31C.

Soldato
OP
Wow thats very low temps based on the voltage that would be needed for 8000; part of that will be because its an open bench and an airconditioned building - so maybe add 10c if you're at home in a hot room with bad airflow, but even at 50c that would be low considering it has zero heatsink and relies completely on passive cooling and case airflow. The old UDIMM memory slots we currently use are very flow restrictive, there can be easily 10c difference in temps between my memory sticks and thats due to airflow, but when the memory full flat like that it wont block airflow at all. And you get some CPU coolers that specifically blow air around the base to cool VRMs and these will now also cool the memory as well with the CAMM2 layout

So not only are we saving space with CAMM2 but memory will run cooler
Yes it was tested on an open bench, it probably very warm in an airconditioned building at Computex now, I checked Taipei weather it was very hot 32C today so there was no picture of ASUS test motherboard but I found a picture from GSkill showroom showed off GSKill Ripjaws CAMM2 DDR5 memory running at 7800MHz on ASUS Z790 Hero motherboard but it did not displayed temp. The test board had CPU air cooler and a 120mm fan both blowed air on CAMM2 memory.

FSG6yVI.jpg

Soldato
OP
It looks like camm2 is potentially also faster and more stable than udimm. Motherboard makers claim camm2 shortens the traces
Yes and CAMM2 probably running at very low temp compared to UDIMM running at very high temp. It is cold day 8C here in Scotland tonight and I checked my RAM temp are now 36C.

I guess DDR5 CAMM2 really dont need heatsink and fan blow air on cold day. CAMM2 temp on cold day could be about 25C without heatsink and maybe 15C with heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom