JEDEC Confirms CAMM2 Memory For Desktop PCs: DDR6 Up To 17.6 Gbps & LPDDR6 Up To 14.4 Gbps

Soldato
OP
Interesting! Look like CAMM2 will fit on ITX motherboard if ATX and SATA3 connectors moved to back of motherboard.

A08W7uc.jpg

Users can connect ATX power connector and SATA3 cables at back of case.

ilmHJvL.jpg

PyrQs8h.jpg

CAMM2 memory sit on about 10mm above CAMM connector height will have around 80mm X 60mm of huge empty space on motherboards.

CAMM2 memory will come to desktop later in 2024, ASRock will launch OC Formula Z890 motherboard feature CAMM2 memory.

Soldato
OP
Asus board with camm2 ddr5 running at 7500mhz, Asus claim under 50c temps
No it not running at 7500MHz, actually it running at 8000Mhz and temp is 41C.

9w5ZpTw.jpg

41C!!! :eek: Wow that incredible without memory heatsink, my GSKill DDR4 3200MHz has RGB heatsinks and temp is about 45C. I googled DDR5 8000MHz temp found someone got GSKill sticks with heatsinks got high temp at 62C so without heatsink temp probably could be about 72C.

If Kingston Fury CAMM2 has heatsink on then temp would be about 31C.

Soldato
Wow thats very low temps based on the voltage that would be needed for 8000; part of that will be because its an open bench and an airconditioned building - so maybe add 10c if you're at home in a hot room with bad airflow, but even at 50c that would be low considering it has zero heatsink and relies completely on passive cooling and case airflow. The old UDIMM memory slots we currently use are very flow restrictive, there can be easily 10c difference in temps between my memory sticks and thats due to airflow, but when the memory full flat like that it wont block airflow at all. And you get some CPU coolers that specifically blow air around the base to cool VRMs and these will now also cool the memory as well with the CAMM2 layout

So not only are we saving space with CAMM2 but memory will run cooler

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow thats very low temps based on the voltage that would be needed for 8000; part of that will be because its an open bench and an airconditioned building - so maybe add 10c if you're at home in a hot room with bad airflow, but even at 50c that would be low considering it has zero heatsink and relies completely on passive cooling and case airflow. The old UDIMM memory slots we currently use are very flow restrictive, there can be easily 10c difference in temps between my memory sticks and thats due to airflow, but when the memory full flat like that it wont block airflow at all. And you get some CPU coolers that specifically blow air around the base to cool VRMs and these will now also cool the memory as well with the CAMM2 layout

So not only are we saving space with CAMM2 but memory will run cooler
Yes it was tested on an open bench, it probably very warm in an airconditioned building at Computex now, I checked Taipei weather it was very hot 32C today so there was no picture of ASUS test motherboard but I found a picture from GSkill showroom showed off GSKill Ripjaws CAMM2 DDR5 memory running at 7800MHz on ASUS Z790 Hero motherboard but it did not displayed temp. The test board had CPU air cooler and a 120mm fan both blowed air on CAMM2 memory.

FSG6yVI.jpg

Soldato
OP
It looks like camm2 is potentially also faster and more stable than udimm. Motherboard makers claim camm2 shortens the traces
Yes and CAMM2 probably running at very low temp compared to UDIMM running at very high temp. It is cold day 8C here in Scotland tonight and I checked my RAM temp are now 36C.

I guess DDR5 CAMM2 really dont need heatsink and fan blow air on cold day. CAMM2 temp on cold day could be about 25C without heatsink and maybe 15C with heatsink.

Soldato
Some boards, maybe all? Will have a heatsink as well, they just have the heatsinks removed at Computex

This white MSI board has a pretty big heatsink that goes over the memory. It looks nice with the heatsink on, sits flush and looks clean

You'll also notice in the 1st photo that there is a thermal pad on the board and at the back of the board is a metal bracket that provides rigidity to the connectors so the memory won't bend once it's plugged in and screwed down and this bracket also dissipates heat at the back of the board

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been wondering what the actual connector looks like on the memory and it's just a bunch of pin holes - hopefully not easy to damage them, the pins are on the board like cpu socket pins

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks so out of place on a full size ATX board, no doubt there will be a huge heatsink to cover the area like MSI has done.

However on a ITX board, it will look absolutely awesome and might actually leave room for other connectors? Don't ask me what but there's potential.

Hopefully these will be at Tech Max on the 21st June so i can see it first hand.

Back
Top Bottom