• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

jerky video play back

Associate
Hi Guys

I have a really odd problem in playing back x264 files on my system. This has never been a problem, before, but I started with a fresh install of Windows 7 X64 with two Vertex 3 128GB in Raid. Since then i have tried various different codec packs and all the same. Strangely the Microsoft ones work fine, no jerkiness, but as soon as I use Media Player classic, all choppy. I have tried using the onboard Intel HD3000 graphics as well as the GTX460 and both the same, so must be a codec issue. If I install the x64 codecs, then Windows media player also becomes choppy, presumably because it then uses the same codecs as Classic. I have tried Klite, shark007 and currently combined community codec. Very strange, any advice would be welcome, otherwise stuck with media player.

Soldato
Sounds like you'v made a right mess with all those codecs!

1. Is the computer with the jerkyness the one in your sig?

2. If your using mechanical hdd, defrag them.

3. You only really need VLC for playing back videos. God knows what all those different codecs have done...

Associate
Sounds like you'v made a right mess with all those codecs!

1. Is the computer with the jerkyness the one in your sig?

2. If your using mechanical hdd, defrag them.

3. You only really need VLC for playing back videos. God knows what all those different codecs have done...

+1 VLC. You really don't need those codecs. Open source is the best.

Associate
OP
It is the machine in the sig, so is very quick with two SSDs

anyways thanks guys, VLC does the job ok, had just been using media player classic for lots of years, and it is irritating to not be able to get it to work this time.

Thanks again.

Associate
You can use Win7DSFilterTweaker to find out and also determine which decoders are used for different types of video. Good for systems that may have been bombed with countless decoders due to codec packs. This software is not installed by the way!

As for MPC-HC, if you wish, however, to use its internal decoders then you'll need to go into Options>Internal Filters.

Example
Source Filter (left column): AVI, Matroska checked
Transform Filter (right column): XVID checked

In this case MPC-HC will use its internal xvid decoder to read the video stream it splits from any avi or mkv file.

Back
Top Bottom