Jessops returns when unsatisfied?

Associate
Howdy

I bought a Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM from Jessops the day before yesterday, I thought it was a good lens, sharp, accurate etc but after using it today, im not happy with it.
It seems to be either missing focus or is just very soft, more so than I'd expect to see, even wide open (not user error, I dont consider myself an amateur and fully understand how shallow DOF is at f/1.4)
I've used the sigma f/1.4 50mm in the past with no issues and it just seems like a better lens so my plan is to return this one and purchase the sigma, but can I do that?

Will Jessops allow a return of goods that arent upto expectations?
Also I'd be returning it to my local store which isnt where I purchased it, I used another shop as my local one had none in.

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok just spoke to the store as I thought I was later in the day than it is lol,
Just so people know Jessops have said its fine to return within 30 days, I'm gonna try a replacement first to make sure it not just the lens, if that's the same they said I can get a refund, or exchange up for the sigma

Cheers

Associate
some times it is a lottery with lenses, like cpu's and volts Vs MHz, i have just bought a 50mm 1.4 canon and its lovely :) but on the flip side of things i just bought a 10-20 sigma and it is very un sharp at the edges unless i have an f stop higher than 16! O_O

Soldato
the 1.4 is nowhere near as sharp as a 70-200 , their just isnt enough glass in it. mine can kinda be a bit soft - but generally this comes up more indoors than out.
i think shooting at 1.4 is always going to be problematic with the DOF so narrow.

Soldato
I've found the Canon 50mm 1.4 to be at it's sharpest around f2.8. 1.4 is great for faster shutter speeds and extra bokeh etc but I find my shots starting to look a little bit soft when stopped down that far though sometimes hard to see due to the narrow DOF as mentioned

Back
Top Bottom