Jesters* Crossfit Journey

Associate
OP
Sunday and Crossfit Open workout 19.3

WOD 10:00

200ft Walking Dumbell Lunge (1 x 22.5Kg)
50 x Single Dumbell Box Step Ups
50 x Strict Handstand Pushups
200ft Handstand Walk

Soooooo lets get one thing straight. I was never going to get to the handstand walks, which was a shame. That volume of HSPU strict was always going to be a huge issue.

The lunges went well, a few little wobbles but got them done. Put my grinding head on and got through the step ups and my split at the end of this was 6:23. So I had just over 3 minutes to crank out as many strict HSPU's as possible. Shoulders seemed to die really really quickly and I managed 18 before hitting cap. This years standard was extremely hard to maintain under fatigue. But overall very happy with how many I completed.

You know you have fitness friends when just after you finish they tell you to stop and flex because the trap pump was real. Excuse the face!

This also shows my physique as it currently is. Never thought I would ever look like this, and definitely look better in my 30's than I did in my 20's.

Associate
OP
Today's hero workout was

"Hotshots 19"

40:00 6 Rounds

13 x Air Squats
19 x Power Cleans (60Kg)
7 x Strict Pullups

400m Run/Row/Ski or 1.2Km Bike

I alternated Run/Row/Ski twice. Got all the work done in 37:23. Tried to use a wider grip on the cleans to practice a slightly different method of cleaning, it seemed to work well and will play around with it on heavier lifts.

Continued to practice handstand walking but currently shoulders are really tired from 19.3 on Sunday.

Had my monthly session with the Sports Therapist and she went to town on my quads, hams and calves. Feeling pretty tender right now!

Associate
OP
Feeling slightly drained this week. So Tuesdays session was taken a bit slower.

Warm Up 10:00

20 x Burpees
30 x V Ups
40 x Single Arm Push Press (22.5Kg)
50 x Cal Row/Bike/Ski

The warm up is taking a very WOD like approach today. Got through quite comfortably and used the Ski for my 50 cals. Still taking time to get myself on it.

Bench Press
Every 2:30

15 - 12 - 10 - 7

For Max Load

Hard set of bench press. Trying to judge the weight correctly was tricky. I managed to go 70/DNF/65/65, the set of 12 I failed at 72.5Kg on the 9th rep.

WOD 6:00
AMRAP

10 x Thrusters (40Kg)
10 x Overbar Burpees

A short and disgusting sprint workout. Hit 3 rounds + 12 reps by the end.

More sleep needed!

Associate
OP
Athlete session Wednesday was a team affair.

Teams of 3
20:00

50 x Target Burpees
15 x Snatch (80Kg)
50 x T Burpees
35 x Snatch (70Kg)
50 x T Burpees
50 x Snatch (60Kg)

Fast and furious cycling of reps. Rotated in 5's for the burpees and the snatch's were singles between us all. We finished in 17:49.

5:00 Rest

For Time

15 Rounds - I go, You go.

5 x Box Overs
2 x Ring Muscle Ups
3 x Chest To Bar

No time cap at the end, we made a bit of a game of it. Sprint to the box, do the box overs, then the rig work and sprint back vaulting over the box to tag your partner. It felt good to cycle some muscle ups as it has been a little while since I have done some.

Thursday rest day, nearly time for the 19.4 announcement. I wonder what we will get this week.

Associate
OP
Friday was a team workout which I scaled back a bit due to the Open Workout the following day.

Teams of 2

35:00

3 Rounds

800m Run
60 x Power Snatch (40Kg)
40 x Box Jumps
20 x Overbar Burpees

I scaled the weight and movement of the power snatch to 30kg Hang Cleans. We moved well through the workout and finished in 33:13.

More handstand walk practice followed!

Associate
OP
Open Workout 19.4

I actually really enjoyed this workout. Probably my favourite of the season so far.

12:00

3 Rounds

10 x Snatch (Any Variation @ 42.5kg)
12 x Bar Facing Burpees

3:00 Rest

3 Rounds

10 x Bar Muscle Ups
12 x Bar Facing Burpees

So this was great fun, I paced myself quite well to finish the first 3 rounds in 4:27 then maintaned good form through my muscle ups to finish the second round by the time the cap hit. So a total of 110 reps with just the third rounds work left to do.

After all the submissions and 4 workouts in I am sat at 1509 out of 10,200 in the UK. Which is great for me.

Associate
OP
Hero workout Monday, post first night shift.

"Felix The Cat"
6 Rounds - 20:00

9 x Burpees
9 x Box Jumps (24")
9 x Pullups
9 x Thrusters (40Kg)
9 x Toes to Bar

*Weight Vest Optional*

Thought I just wanted to cruise a little bit, ended up slinging my vest on and got down to business. It sucked. Every one of these movements is so awkward with an extra 10Kg, I managed to work through and completed 5 Rounds + 14 at the cap.

3 Rounds 7:00

25 x Situps
15 x Hollow Rocks
5 x Candle Sticks

Usually this wouldn't be too bad. But today after the hero WOD it was horrible. My core was totalled by the time I got to the first set of hollow rocks!

More handstands done after training.

Associate
OP
Tuesday work, post second night shift. Mini meltdown occurred.

36:00 E3MOM

1. 12 x Alt Dumbell Snatch (22.5Kg)
12 x Dumbell Clean & Jerk
24 x Cals

2. 15 x Deadlift (60Kg)
15 x Front Squat
15 x Shoulders to Overhead

3. 100 x Double Unders
20 x Box Overs (24")
3 x Rope Climbs

4. Rest

Probably the worst kind of workout for me while tired and just wanting to move. Not going to lie half way through that first 3:00 I mentally shut off and pretty much phoned the rest of the workout in. Just bimbled through the 36:00 and got a bit of a sweat on and didn't go too hard. Not much to say about this other than it just sucked.

Did more handstands and really feeling as though my progress is good. Getting better every time.

Associate
OP
Going well still - excellent work on the Open.

Has to be Thrusters tomorrow in 19.5 for sure!

Oh look....all the Thrusters and C2B!

Wednesday evening Athletes session.

Teams of 2
45:00

5km Row
400 x Double Unders
300 x Situps
200 x Overhead Squats (40Kg)
100 x Box Jumps

So much volume! Finished the row in sub 18:00, did the double unders in sets of 20, situps in sets of 10, overhead squats in sets of 10 and then we were going to try and get sets of 10 box jumps in but ran into the cap after 22 box jumps.

Had a good laugh through this workout, the situps went on for a very long time! Really good atmosphere between everyone.

Associate
OP
Thursday

Was almost all mobility with a short warmup workout.

I decided not to do the little workout at the end and spend more time on the foam roller and get out some niggles.

19.5 is upon us and is going to be a ruinous workout to finish on. Monday is when I will go for broke and get it done.

Soldato
Thursday

Was almost all mobility with a short warmup workout.

I decided not to do the little workout at the end and spend more time on the foam roller and get out some niggles.

19.5 is upon us and is going to be a ruinous workout to finish on. Monday is when I will go for broke and get it done.

good luck - Matt Fraser time is just disgusting

Soldato
Not even sure what to say about his time. I will be lucky to finish the round of 33 within 6 minutes, let alone finish the whole thing.

The man is quite simply incredible.

Judged a guy at our gym today and he went 12.46 for the whole thing. Planned and executed it really well.

Broke the thruster up into 14/11/8, then 12/9/6 then 10/7/4 etc - planned and executed really good. His C2B were 5's and 6's etc.

Associate
OP
That is a good way to break it down. Always giving yourself less work to do on the next set on the Thrusters. I was thinking of keeping it even across all sets 11/11/11 , 9/9/9 etc. C2B is difficult because I am pretty sure I can do sets of 5's, but I don't know how long I can hang onto it for. I was thinking of doing sets of 3 to keep fatigue down and if there is anything left in the tank for the last few rounds, then go for it.

Associate
OP
Sooooo 19.5 happened today.

Crossfit Open Workout 19.5

20:00
33 - 27 - 21 - 15 - 9

Thrusters (43Kg)
Chest To Bar Pullups

This ranks very close to the top of workouts I never want to do again. After feeling a little ropey the last day or 2 I wasn't sure how this would go and was worried i'd completely meltdown.

Its ok, I only had a semi meltdown! I stuck to my plan in the round of 33, but after that the thrusters became sets of 5 as I really started to fatigue hard. Chest to bars managed to stay consistent 3's. The round of 15 my judge commented that I was looking very shaky on my feet, which to be fair I was hating life at this point. Managed to get it done in 19:04. I am not particularly happy with that but all things considered i'll take it.

Overall so many positives from this Open. Will check tomorrow where I placed in the UK and hopefully staying in the 1k - 2k range. Really glad that it is time to get back to regular training and improving further.

Soldato
Nice one - congrats. That's why I gave the open a miss this year - didn't want too much distraction from my regular training and been working hard on strength stuff recently.

Off to Castle Games in June - qualified for my 1st comp!

Associate
OP
Nice one - congrats. That's why I gave the open a miss this year - didn't want too much distraction from my regular training and been working hard on strength stuff recently.

Off to Castle Games in June - qualified for my 1st comp!

Thanks buddy! Yea it was taxing physically and mentally. Another open is coming in October, so we get to do it aaaaaaall over again.

Congratulations, enjoy being on the comp floor. It really is a great feeling.

Tuesday training was good, getting to move a heavy barbell around again! But definitely feeling it after doing 19.5 yesterday.

Warm Up
5 Rounds 8:00

20 x Double Unders
10 x Wallball Cleans (20lb)
5 x Strict Pullups

Good little warmup. Took my time as squatting felt quite tender after all the thrusters.

Coach Led Movement Prep

E2MOM for 14:00 (7 Sets)

Hang Clean
Clean

Start at 60% and build up to a max load for the complex.

I have started to use a slightly wider grip on my cleans recently, fine tuning the technique to see if I can make a dent on my rep maxes in the coming months. Weights went as follows 60/70/80/90/95/100/105Kg. Felt really good and hip connection was greatly improved.

WOD Every 1:30 for 15:00 (10 Sets)

5 x Hang Cleans
10 x Hollow Rocks
10 x Situps

Hang clean weight is complex RM -20%.

Soooooo this was horrible. Dropped my barbell to 80Kg and only managed to get 3 hang cleans in before swopping to the other movements to get the work done in the time. Very hard targets to hit.

Post workout I PB'd my handstand walk to about 7ms. Definitely getting so much more confident upside down.

Final placings for the Open had me coming in at 1247th in the UK. So made up another couple of hundred places after that last workout. Ironically 19.5 was my highest placing workout in the UK of the 5 coming in the 900~ range. A great feeling to see the results of my hard work paying off. Maybe come October I can break into the top 1000.

Associate
OP
Been a good few days since I last updated this. Still training, but family complications are distracting me currently so definitely slacking on the log.

Last Wednesday was athlete training and it was a doozy.

WOD 45:00

3km Row/2.5Km Ski/6km Bike (Pick 1 of the 3 to complete)

While wearing a 10Kg Weighted Vest Complete

1 Mile Run - Carrying 1 x 22.5Kg Dumbell

50 x Wallballs
5 x Rope Climbs
40 x Wallballs
4 x Rope Climbs
30 x Wallballs
3 x Rope Climbs
20 x Wallballs
2 x Rope Climbs
10 x Wallballs
1 x Rope Climb

This was pretty nasty all things considered. I chose to ski and got the work done in good time in circa 10 minutes. The run was horrible, I just felt as if I couldn't get any momentum going and carrying that dumbell was awkward the whole way through. Wallballs sucked and took time to warm into, the rope climbs I felt good with. I hit the cap after getting the first of the 3 rope climbs, leaving only 36 reps left.

Associate
OP
Friday team workout was a good workout to move well in.

Coach Led Warm up and Mobility
15:00

WOD 30:00 in Pairs

2KM Row - Cash In

AMRAP

50 x Double Unders
40 x Kettlebell Swings (24Kg)
30 x Wallballs
20 x Box Jumps (24")
10 x Toes To Bar

Not much to say about this one, but a good one to keep moving and chip away at all the movements. We completed 5 rounds + 132 reps.

Back
Top Bottom