Job advice.

Soldato
I have recently being working in the Lloyds no1 bar in Worcester and went home for the Christmas period, I informed my manager of this and I transferred to the bar in Birmingham.

I had a phonecall from the Worcester manager saying that I was meant to be in Worcester working in January, however I was still at the Birmingham bar and I had made it clear to him I would be till the end of January (I'm a student and I was at home with parents for this time).

When I returned to Worcester for University, the manager seems to have hired new staff and there is now no where for me to work. He refuses to call me back when I leave messages with other staff.

I'm at a loss of what to do, I've only been with the company a short time but since joining I've put a lot of effort into my work.

I need this job to enable me to keep eating at University, while there I was late only once (due to me finishing at around 0200 and being in again for 1200). I worked illegal hours, did 10 days straight working towards Christmas and now the manager doesn't want to know me.

I could try to look for another job, but I want this job at the moment, I don't want to go somewhere else and make friends with new people.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me, whether he is right to effectively fire me or if I can do something about it.

Soldato
Go into the branch and speak to your manager, see if you can sort things out. Maybe there was a miscommunication problem during Christmas, he felt you let him down so he hired new staff. Did you have some kind of contract?

Associate
Go in and try to talk to him face to face when you know he will be working? Sounds like somewhere a bit of miscommunication has occurred, easily done as I'm fairly sure the bar (like most with students working) have a high staff turnover, maybe he just presumed wrong about you coming back?

Soldato
OP
Dr_Evil said:
Did you have some kind of contract?

That's the only problem, I have it and it's signed, but they don't have it.

They told me they needed to go through the starter pack with me before they took it and they never did.

Associate
Then what does your contract say about leaveing/dismissial/notice etc? If they have't given you any and your contract says they will provide X days then they are brakeing their own contract.

Still have to say go in and talk to the manager face to face, not your fault they have "lost" your contract. Could still be just a miss understanding so no need to get mad.

Soldato
Yes, don't forget to take your signed contract with you though... It looks a bit fuzzy to me, but then again people come and go especially students so they probably thought you wouldn't be coming back either.... the only way to solve this is to speak to that guy in person...

Soldato
OP
They're required one week notice.

Does this need to be formal? The manager on the phone did say, 'I'll find someone else then.' and hung up on me.

I'm guessing that won't class as notice?

Back
Top Bottom