Job decision

Associate
So I have been at my company for 5 years. We have just moved into a new office which is truly an amazing office and a pleasure to work at. I enjoy the people there and the job is okay. However it seems to be very hard to progress and i only get a1% pay rise a year. Also I'm learning no new skills in my job and haven't for a long time.

Been offered a job with another major company as an analyst which I wanted to do plus I learn new skills such as SQL and they pay for me to do qualifications as well. The big plus is it will be a £5k payrise. The big con is several people have joined my office from this company saying how awful it is despite being a leading company.

The bad rep of the company plus the fact Im loving my new work office is putting me off greatly however the fact it's a decent payrise, I will learn new skills I could take to another company if I leave and a change of scenery is swaying my decision both ways.

Caporegime
1% isn't even the cost of living these days and you're systematically being paid less and less each year. When you leave (and you absolutely should) and join this other company unless there's some sort of penalty for leaving shortly (and there certainly could be if they're putting you through these classes) what would be stopping you from taking that £5k payrise and using it for something to keep you happy at the weekend?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
A 1% pay rise is less than inflation so it's really a pay cut. Take the words of people who have left the new company with a pinch of salt. There is always another side to the story, and people who leave a company are normally very quick to say bad things about it, when in reality they may have been the problem.

At the same time, if you are fairly happy at your current office, nothing wrong with talking to your manager, telling him how you feel you are not learning skills, and are not happy with a pay cut every year. See what they say. If there is no talk of progression in skills as well as salary then the new job seems like a good decision.

Soldato
Talk to your manager about career/financial progression and increased responsibilities for you - if every idea or suggestion is shot down then you have your answer.

Back
Top Bottom