John Peel

Soldato
Lots of recorded broadcasts out there :)

Can I point you to them? Of course not :(

The broadcasts can be fascinating: on top of some really interesting and now-classic tracks, there are little reminders of how life used to be: Radio One shutting down every night, transmitter engineering announcements live on air, vinyl crackling and the odd stuck record. How far we have come in what seems like such a short time.

I was listening to several of his Festive Fifty broadcasts in sequence the other night; highly recommended, as you get to hear all the trends - the rise of The Smiths, the birth of Madchester, Seattle grunge, Shoegaze and When Computers Started Writing Dance Music - all with the ever-present background hum of The mighty Fall :)

You also get little reminders of events to put the music into historical context. Like this spine-tingler:

John Peel said:
Those are The Pixies at number 39 in the Festive Fifty with "River Euphrates", and an update from, er, the motoring unit, an urgent message for drivers intending to use the A74 between Carlisle and Glasgow:

A serious plane crash in the vicinity of Lockerbie has closed the A74 in both directions. Drivers should avoid the A74 and other roads in the vicinity of Lockerbie altogether, so as to allow access for emergency vehicles...

Delivered as unsensationally as you'd expect from Peelie, but it's still weird to hear it.

Permabanned
OP
Lots of recorded broadcasts out there :)

Can I point you to them? Of course not :(

The broadcasts can be fascinating: on top of some really interesting and now-classic tracks, there are little reminders of how life used to be: Radio One shutting down every night, transmitter engineering announcements live on air, vinyl crackling and the odd stuck record. How far we have come in what seems like such a short time.

I was listening to several of his Festive Fifty broadcasts in sequence the other night; highly recommended, as you get to hear all the trends - the rise of The Smiths, the birth of Madchester, Seattle grunge, Shoegaze and When Computers Started Writing Dance Music - all with the ever-present background hum of The mighty Fall :)

You also get little reminders of events to put the music into historical context. Like this spine-tingler:

Delivered as unsensationally as you'd expect from Peelie, but it's still weird to hear it.

Stupid answer

Back
Top Bottom