Joint Tennants and Tennants in Common

Soldato
First of this is being looked at by a solicitor however I am not sure he is right from what I have read on various websites and land registry.

Background

Grandmother in law owned two properties with her husband both properties on the land registry showing as Joint Tennants as they were married so owned both half's of the properties. Her husband passed away so according to the wording on his death she got the other half of the house.

Now this is where it gets complicated. So both houses were sold and she moved with one of her daughters to another property however that relationship went sour and short story the house down south is being sold and will be used to purchase a house with her other daughter up my way.

So the house from down south was put on the market and when was sold STC we got a letting from a no win no fee lawyer saying the daughter is entitled to money as her dad left one of the properties in his will, this was news to us.

In the will it says he leaves one of the properties to the daughter, however there is nothing on the land registry to back this up, but our solicitor says they does not need to happen they can be an agreement that overrules the land registry. We are waiting for the solicitors who did the will originally to send the documents over, and the grandmother in law has no knowledge of this, nor the will was changed giving the house to the daughter.

So from my point of view she is not entitled to any money as the house was owned by the grandmother in law and owned solely by her from the granddads passing.

So not sure if need to wait for documents to be exchanged, or seek a second opinion.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Kimbie

Soldato
OP
From what we can tell sending of the death cert was never sent as both their names are still showing on the land registry report but from what you are saying tallies with my view that on the death of the grandfather the entire house passes to the other spouse and thus can't be left in a will to a daughter.

Sadly the solicitors are dragging their feet with this, and I know the current situation is not helping but still seem slow to deal with it

Back
Top Bottom