Jonathan Ive leaving Apple

Soldato
I hate him, purely for putting the USB ports on the back of the iMac Pro and not the front, why make me get off my chair and do a James Herriot impression every time I want to plug a damn USB stick in?

Soldato
the App store is better overall.

Not wanting to start an Android v Apple argument, but this is the bit I don't get. I have an iPad for work and I generally find the App store to be quite bad. Maybe Apple just don't do search well. The other day I was looking for Google Plus (yes, work version) and nothing came up. An iPhone user explained to me I need to look for Google +...

One of the first apps I looked for on the iPad was Instagram... again... nothing came up... (maybe it would now, this was about 4 years ago) I think I had to set it to iPhone version perhaps? But really? There were no Instagram apps for iPads?! (I think I found one in the end, but it wasn't easy. There seemed to be loads 'get followers on Instagram' apps listed first)

It's been my experience quite a few times, I struggle to find an app I need, or when I do, it's only for iPhone and looks terrible on iPad. I don't really recall having that issue on Android in the last 3 or 4 years.

Soldato
Not wanting to start an Android v Apple argument, but this is the bit I don't get. I have an iPad for work and I generally find the App store to be quite bad. Maybe Apple just don't do search well. The other day I was looking for Google Plus (yes, work version) and nothing came up. An iPhone user explained to me I need to look for Google +...

One of the first apps I looked for on the iPad was Instagram... again... nothing came up... (maybe it would now, this was about 4 years ago) I think I had to set it to iPhone version perhaps? But really? There were no Instagram apps for iPads?! (I think I found one in the end, but it wasn't easy. There seemed to be loads 'get followers on Instagram' apps listed first)

It's been my experience quite a few times, I struggle to find an app I need, or when I do, it's only for iPhone and looks terrible on iPad. I don't really recall having that issue on Android in the last 3 or 4 years.
There isn't an official Instagram app for iPads.

Soldato
This, hardly an OS issue if the developers don't release an app for the iPad.

Surely it kind of is if you have an iPad and want to use Instagram... one of the most used apps on the planet? (If you literally mean you can't blame the OS... I'm not. It was commented how good the app store is, this was some evidence of why I don't think it is that good.)

Soldato
But for me that's one of the benefits of Android. When you make an Android app, if you do it properly, you have to make it so it adjusts to all the different resolutions. This means all apps should work on tablets, depending how well they've been coded says how well they make use of the space. Of course this does lead to some looking bad, if the dev didn't do it right... but probably not as bad as iPhone apps have looked on my iPad.

Btw, I wasn't after an official app, just an Instagram app!

Soldato
That didn’t answer the question and it’s no different to an iOS app, if you make it correctly it should scale to all of the available resolutions on the platform....

I haven't used an android tablet, I googled it but it was inconclusive, it suggested that the official phone app did ‘work’ (just like you can get the iPhone app on an iPad) but it wasn’t ‘good’.

Soldato
No, because the question wasn't relevant to what I was talking about (I never mentioned about it having to be the official app, I just wanted an Instagram app) so answered keeping some relevance.

It's probably not possible to not kick off an Apple v Android at this point, so I'll bow out as those things can just go on forever! :) Thanks.

Soldato
I hate him, purely for putting the USB ports on the back of the iMac Pro and not the front, why make me get off my chair and do a James Herriot impression every time I want to plug a damn USB stick in?
Has your keyboard not got a USB port on the right hand edge? The wired ones used to have one there for this very purpose.

Failing that, a small USB hub is your friend.

Commissario
I have a very short USB extension cable plugged into one of the ports on my iMac that just brings it out to the front for when I need to plug anything in on a temporary basis.

Man of Honour
Aren't USB ports on the back of the majority of AIO computers, not just limited to the iMac?

On both of my PC monitors the USB ports are on the back.

Soldato
It's time for a change. Apple haven't innovated for a very long while.
The Apple Watch is the best smart watch available and till only get better with Watch OS and stand alone apps, you can see there will be a point where the Apple Watch will be able to work as a completely standalone device, Android watches are still no where near as good.

The iPad Pro with iOS 13 for a lot of people will be able to completely replace most laptops for a lot of people.

How exactly do you expect them to innovate? iOS is still the best mobile OS available, the way all of Apple's devices integrate together still beats anything the competition have put out.

Soldato
With Ive moving to Apple’s campus in London it seems that the core effort of design for Apple will be at this campus. Will this result in designed in London on the back of the products?

Soldato
With Ive moving to Apple’s campus in London it seems that the core effort of design for Apple will be at this campus. Will this result in designed in London on the back of the products?

What London campus is that? Apple has serval rented offices near the Regent Street Apple Store and two in a business park near LHR.

Soldato
What London campus is that? Apple has serval rented offices near the Regent Street Apple Store and two in a business park near LHR.
Like Google Apple are consolidating offices in one large one. Google in kings cross (that building is coming along nicely now, I love the android logos!) and Apple will be Battersea.

Back
Top Bottom