Joystick Question For Flight Simmers

Associate
I have has a Thrustmaster Hotas since they came out and to be honest I wouldnt recommend it. It has great functionality but to make it the joystick it should have been you need to spend another couple of hundred on getting the gimbals modded so they dont wear out and the pots replaced so you dont have issues with spiking, drifting etc.

Associate
Cobra,
I am thinking of getting a replacement for my cougar and the X52 pro seems the obvious choice. Can you tell me what sort of tension there is on the joystick, I kinda got used to the heavy feel of the cougar. Also what are your general observations on the x52 pro.
Thanks

Soldato
OP
I will certainly try my best but im not an expert on these things.

With regards to tension, i must admit i thought there would be a bit more resistance with this stick, when i first started using it i was being a bit rough with it, maybe too heavy handed. I have adjusted to it now an am a lot more controlled. I think there still could be more tension there though.

As for build quality i think it is very good. I am impressed with the finish of the stick and throttle. All of the buttons (and there are loads) have a great feel to them, not too clicky or flimsy.

Here is the stick (sorry about the orientation). Paddle buttons at the bottom, ideal for landing gear etc. :

The throttle, with multi function display. Have not set mine up yet. :

Stick up close : The circle you see at the bottom is an 8 way D-pad, the same goes with the top left D-pad.

Finally the throttle, this is the right hand side. Note the slider in the middle, and the rotating dials at the bottom and top left.

Very happy with this stick, so much customisation can be done with this and just a tonne of buttons to use.

Associate
Thanks Cobra
Can you just confirm one thing, that the stick tension is adjustable.
Looks like I will have to get a new stick as it will cost me over £270 to replace the cougar gimbals and sensors to ones that are up to the task.
I dont suppose you have the rudder pedals that go with the saitek?

Soldato
OP
andyh said:
Thanks Cobra
Can you just confirm one thing, that the stick tension is adjustable.
Looks like I will have to get a new stick as it will cost me over £270 to replace the cougar gimbals and sensors to ones that are up to the task.
I dont suppose you have the rudder pedals that go with the saitek?

No it doesnt appear to be able to adjust the tension unfortunately. As for the pedals i have not got them. Maybe in a few months or so.

Soldato
You can adjust the tension in the X52 by doing a bit of home 'modding' basically jamming a circular piece of sponge (the popular consensus seems to be the oned that come protecting packs of dvds) between the spring and the bottom of the joystck. It works although it tends to get a bit squeaky, like mine.

In all honesty i think im going Cougar HOTAS. Ive read various things about it but despite all the bad (expensive, replacement of parts required etc) it seems to be the definitive stick.

I also have the CH Pro pedals. With the game I play (wwiiol) they give me a bit of grief in that theyre unresponsive, but I think this is a USB issue rather than the pedals themselves.

All in all it depends on how much of a flight simmer you are. If you fancy a game every now and then, the X52 is probably your top end. The button cominations, slider etc are excellent, never had a problem with mine. The only thing is, I want some extra precision and I do get that plasticky feel. Apparently the pro is better but then youre talking tm cougar prices anyway.

Back
Top Bottom