Just been put on Furlough

Caporegime
It's great for lower paid workers who won't suffer a big drop in earnings, you're effectively getting paid loads to take a holiday (admittedly with less freedom than normal but I'd much rather be furloughed than forced to work from home if I was in that sort of income bracket).

In fact most people won't see any drop in earnings when you take the cost of commuting into account.

Soldato
I worked out I spend 15% of my salary on fuel so recieving 80% wouldn't be too bad, how does it work with normal deductions as I take home ~2k but earn 35k before tax (deductions due to pension and childcare vouchers). And how does it factor in with tax free allowance?

Permabanned
I worked out I spend 15% of my salary on fuel so recieving 80% wouldn't be too bad, how does it work with normal deductions as I take home ~2k but earn 35k before tax (deductions due to pension and childcare vouchers). And how does it factor in with tax free allowance?
you still pay all your out goings .. ni tax pension ect ect .. don't know about tax free ?

Man of Honour
I work in the tech industry just to put it in to context.

I'm probably gonna wait a month or two before declaring to agents that I am considering my options.

If I were considering looking for a new job, and if I were in your shoes, then personally I would be looking for jobs straight away. There probably won't be many around but I don't see any benefit waiting. The whole process will probably take a couple of months (even if there is a job available right now) and by waiting you may miss out on something. Also if you wait then you might simply end up looking at the same time as everyone else who is also waiting.

In the past whenever I have been told I am at risk of redundancy I've always gone out to the agent within a few hours of finding out. I just don't see any benefit to you by waiting.

Associate
It's now 5th Nov. I was furloughed up until the end of July 2020, and the position came to end/redundant.

As I believe for Aug, Sep, Oct the employer contributed towards the 80%.
However they have just announced that they are extending the furlough
where the employer does not have to contribute thus thus the furlough being extended
until the end of March.

As I've not found employment, would the old employer be able to take me back
on and retain my job? I will give it a week to see if the old employer comes back
as his pay roll runs 30th / 31st each month.

Many thanks
Mike

Soldato
It's now 5th Nov. I was furloughed up until the end of July 2020, and the position came to end/redundant.

where the employer does not have to contribute thus thus the furlough being extended
until the end of March.

on and retain my job? I will give it a week to see if the old employer comes back

Many thanks
Mike
Technically they could, yes - but I wouldn't assume they'll actively do that unless you push for it. They're under no obligations to take you back/put you on Furlough, though.

Soldato

until the end of March.

Many thanks
Mike

I believe you needed to be on their payroll when they submitted RTI at the end of October. If you weren't then i don't think you'd be eligible for furlough.

Soldato

until the end of March.

Many thanks
Mike
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/04/employed-help-coronavirus-furlough/#rehiring

Man of Honour
I don't see why an employer would take someone back on furlough as that would just give them an admin headache and potentially have to follow redundancy processes when furlough ends.

Back
Top Bottom