Just been told of a 20 year old “debt”

Caporegime
OP
I am willing to bet that they have no documentation at all..

Me too, I couldn’t get an old statement from NatWest that was over 8years old a while back despite the same account being my current account in daily use so I really don’t see how they’ve got anything related to Lloyd’s from 20years back.

Global debt recovery is another one of those ''debt'' companys that buy blocks of debt for pennies in the pound and then go after the person { or anyone else they can pin it on } for the full amount of the debt.

Just a quick google search on them proves what scumbags they are.

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. if you do not remember the debt then it most likely not yours.

Contacting lloyds wont help as they will have sold off whatever the debt is to GDR and that is the matter finished as far as they are concerned.

I had a similar thing with them { GDR } it had nothing to do with me so i ignored them. they send a letter every now and then offering me a great deal 50% off the debt etc if i pay it off but i just shred the letters.

Nothing in my credit file about any debts i owe so they can get lost as far as i am concerned
Interesting, cheers. :)

Soldato
Me too, I couldn’t get an old statement from NatWest that was over 8years old a while back despite the same account being my current account in daily use so I really don’t see how they’ve got anything related to Lloyd’s from 20years back.

That explains it. Letter regarding your old NatWest debt incoming...

:D

Soldato
About a year ago I had a debt company, Moorcroft debt recovery leave me a message on my phone saying I had a debt and could I contact them. I was pretty shocked and was trying to figure out what debt I might have had before I called them.

Whilst I was trying to figure it out, the next day they called again and i asked them who the debt was from, they said British Gas. I said I've never been a customer of British Gas and if they had anything further to say put it in writing. That was the last I heard from them.

If the debt is genuine you can always contact Lloyds yourself and ask them if you owe them money. You don't have to deal with a debt company. Just have lloyds give you some paperwork to say you dont owe them anything, or if you do, pay it directly to them and get a receipt.

Soldato
It's 6 years they have to get the debt off you, after that you owe nothing.
This is incorrect, and without being rude it's false info like this that perpetuates around internet forums because people post it because they heard it from someone else on the internet and then people get into trouble.

https://cleardebt.co.uk/debt-help/debt-help-guides/out-of-date-debt

The Limitation Act 1980 only applies when no acknowledgement of a debt has been made between you and the creditor for six years for unsecured debts or 12 years for mortgage shortfalls and secured loans. This law only applies to residents of England and Wales.

Big difference - you can most certainly be pursued for a debt after 20 years if the limitation act doesn't apply to your situation. Now we know in Scania's case that he's not in Scotland, and that he hasn't had contact about this debt before so he should be safe under this the Limitation Act. However as someone mentioned earlier, what's to say if they got hold of a recording of his voice when he calls, or a copy of his signature so they can then falsify that they had had contact within successive 6 years periods. These debt companies are hardly squeeky clean and as someone mentioned the website for this one was only registered less than two months ago. Be very careful!

Associate
They are a genuine company that used to purchase old debt from Lloyds. Remember all the entities that Lloyds own now as well. So it may not have been branded specifically as Lloyds at the time.

Caporegime
OP
This is incorrect, and without being rude it's false info like this that perpetuates around internet forums because people post it because they heard it from someone else on the internet and then people get into trouble.

https://cleardebt.co.uk/debt-help/debt-help-guides/out-of-date-debt

Big difference - you can most certainly be pursued for a debt after 20 years if the limitation act doesn't apply to your situation. Now we know in Scania's case that he's not in Scotland, and that he hasn't had contact about this debt before so he should be safe under this the Limitation Act. However as someone mentioned earlier, what's to say if they got hold of a recording of his voice when he calls, or a copy of his signature so they can then falsify that they had had contact within successive 6 years periods. These debt companies are hardly squeeky clean and as someone mentioned the website for this one was only registered less than two months ago. Be very careful!
Thanks, very helpful.

They are a genuine company that used to purchase old debt from Lloyds. Remember all the entities that Lloyds own now as well. So it may not have been branded specifically as Lloyds at the time.
They certainly seemed genuine when I spoke to them, no mention of payment and they said they were not in full possession of all details which I found interesting, hence the two weeks before they said they’d be back in touch.

I’m ready though for whatever ploy follows next, it seems pretty open and shut to me, I’ve no record of any Lloyd’s debt, never had a Lloyd’s account certainly not 20years ago and after making a conscious effort over the past few years to make sure anything in my credit file that would cause me a problem was rectified, I don’t see how this has been missed.

Just paid for a detailed report and I’m showing nothing for Lloyd’s whatsoever.

The one thing I’m struggling with is a definitive view on statute if a barred debt which is an overdraft is eligible for being statute barred as such.

Looking forward to their correspondence, might end up having some fun (or a headache) with this....

Man of Honour
About two years ago I had a fishing letter like this. I knew I had no debt so sent them a prove it or go away letter. They went away. They were just fishing for someone with a similar name to pin it on.

Soldato
If you don't have a CCJ don't worry about it.

Anyone can call themselves debt collectors. Only if they are enforcing a judgement should you be worried.

If it's taken 20 years, doubt there is any kind of judgement. As someone earlier said, they buy old debts for close to nothing and then try to scare people into paying.

Soldato
Firstly I don’t recall ever having a Lloyd’s account
Did you ever have a TSB account? Lloyds and TSB merged in the 90's but when they split up in the 2010s they simply shared out the customers between themselves instead of dividing them back into Lloyds/TSB customers.

Associate
Call the Head Office and explain the situation to them as they will inform you if this is real or not; also don't forget to record all calls concerning this as it can be used as evidence.

Soldato
I wouldn't be proactively contacting anyone about this really. Let them pursue you. Set up a throw-away email address and if they contact you again insist on receiving everything by email, to that address.

If they don't have an address, and you give them one, it's easier for them to start legal proceedings.

Where the Limitation Act applies, a Claimant can still make a court claim, but it's a valid and complete defense to argue the debt is out of time.

Back
Top Bottom