• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just bought a new I7-9700k from Overclockers and it arrived in just a small white box

OcUK Staff
Guys OEM that you can buy is untested so silicon lottery gamble is still there.

aside from that anyway we don’t even speed bin 9700k anymore and have not done so for months so it’s pretty mute point anyway.

As to the OP you purchased OEM so you just get a bare chip nothing else, that White box ocuk gives you for free to protect it. :)

Soldato
Some years ago I had new OEM i7 3770k that was sold cheap, there was a today only selling maybe 200 of them.

I could never get that CPU stable, it passed the Intel CPU diagnostic but something odd with it, after this I never purchased OEM CPU's again.

It's possible it was faulty from Intel, but all my years of computers, this was the only CPU that had ever given me problems. It was not even stable at stock speeds, changed memory, PSU's, various BIOS updates, eventually found that increasing the voltage (at stock speeds) appeared to help keep it stable. I was really careful building the computer, I used anti-static strap never held gold edges.

Also I never changed the motherboard, so it's possible it was a board issue, but again it scared me enough to stay clear of OEM chips.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I always thought OEM come in non-retail boxes anyway. It's always been the case with hardware.

Been awhile since I've had anything to do with it but they generally come in "trays" I believe - what we had was more like a cardboard or plastic sleeve with cut outs for each CPU. OEM CPUs aren't sold in retail boxes.

Soldato
I know right.

But you never really know do you. Not really. Conspiracy!
On the other side of things, I've bought a few B grade items from here that have been brand new, completely sealed with no defects.

I bought a Phanteks Evolv X last year for about £50 off, it was completely new. If it was a return, it had never been opened and was 100% fault free.

Soldato
Never had any problems overclocking
One of their oem cpus
So definitely don't believe they are binning failures
My old 2600k is still banging away at 5ghz after all these years:)
Doesn't sound like a didn't make
The binning grade to me:)
My 7700k same thing 5ghz though its up for sale to recover some of the cost of my 3900x build :)

Associate
I bought a few OEM chips off OcUK, and all of them have overclocked beyond my expectations. My 8700K was one of the early OEM ones, and it's still trucking along at 5GHz to this day (now in my Emby server).

Back
Top Bottom