Just bought a new Sony F series

Soldato
OP
Look what finally arrived :D

3169s74.jpg

Booting it up for the first time the first thing that struck me was the quality of the screen. It's pin sharp, night and day compared to my old Acer. What struck me next is the amount of rubbish preinstalled! I'm just creating restore disks now before I install a spare copy of Windows 7 Professional retail!

Last edited:
Associate
:)

Well come on....give us the lowdown!

How are the temps? screen quality? speaker quality?

I know you want to sit and enjoy it but you cant tease us with just a photo like that ;)

Soldato
OP
:)

Well come on....give us the lowdown!

How are the temps? screen quality? speaker quality?

I know you want to sit and enjoy it but you cant tease us with just a photo like that ;)

You'll have to wait whilst I format it to remove all the preinstalled junk. I'll upload more pictures shortly and write a mini review :).

Soldato
OP
I've finally finished setting up my new laptop. Formatted and installed a retail copy of W7 Professional, installed all my programs and put all my documents / itunes library & pictures back in place.

The Sony backup software has really impressed me. I created the restore disks before formatting. Not only can I set my Vaio back to factory install with these disks I was able to select which programs and drivers I wanted to reinstall. Win!

Good points so far:
1) The screen is really something special. Crisp, clear and pin sharp with vivd colours that aren't over-saturated. If you're going to go for a new Vaio-F definitely spec the premium 1920x1080 16.4" display. The anti-reflective surface is very effective.
2) The keyboard is a pleasure to use. I thought it would take me a while to adjust to the large spacing between the keys but it feels so natural to use. The keys have a very solid feel to them.
3) The build quality is second to none.
4) Very fast, especially after the reformat. I will upgrade to an SSD when money allows.
5) It's currently on 82% battery capacity and Windows reports I have 2Hrs 20minutes of usage before it's dead. After a week or so I'll let you know how it's holding up.

Bad point/minor niggle:
For a premium laptop the built-in "motion eye" webcam is pretty ****. VGA resolution stills only and it's just about good enough for Skype use. My Acer's webcam was much better. Not that bothered though.

Some pics:
soxp2f.jpg

10f2i2u.jpg

zsk75w.jpg

15yt26p.jpg

2jbusjp.jpg

29qd3yf.jpg

2m4w8.jpg

More to come :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Can you describe the noise level when web browsing/cpu idle? For example can you hear it in a quiet room? Is fan always spinning? Does fan change speed annoyingly?

4 pics above (side on shot) I can see a reflection in the screen, is the screen not a matte finish?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can you describe the noise level when web browsing/cpu idle? For example can you hear it in a quiet room? Is fan always spinning? Does fan change speed annoyingly?

4 pics above (side on shot) I can see a reflection in the screen, is the screen not a matte finish?

Practically inaudible when browsing the web/using iTunes. I've not noticed the fans yet.

The screen has a very slight gloss to it, it's not matte :).

Associate
It does look nice but the F (X) series (generation before yours) definitely had matte screen. I saw it in the purple place and sony shop.

I still do most of my work on Belinea 22" 1600x1080 (16:10) matte screen I got a few years ago. My Dell 1749 laptop glossy screen is just ridiculous to work on, I would never buy glossy again. I found my eyes straining to read the text which was a few mm behind the reflections. I could work for about an hour max before I had to stop.

Also the laptops I saw where premium black color, maybe that had something to do with matte screen configuration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom