just built pc but small problem

Associate
hi i've just built a pc and when i turn it on the screen doesn't display anything. the psu in on the processor fan is working , the dvd drive allows me to open/close it and the hard drive is happily spinning. i've checked that everything is securly attached and doubled checked connections. anyone got any suggesstions to where the problem may lie???

Soldato
Rednut05 said:
Is your PCI-Express graphics card set as default if you also have on board. If so try plugging it into your mobo port.

Who said anything about a PCI-E GFX? We really could do with the system specs :) The most common cause of this is not plugging in the four pin power connector the the motherboard.

Caporegime
something will probabilly not be in properly, i.e is the RAM in properly, is every power conector plugged in to the right places. Another one could be have u turned on the power at the wall.

If u carnt see anuthing wrong, take everything out and start again.

Associate
OP
thanks for replies.
ok the simple stuff is all plugged in properly such as the monitor and the plug socket. i'll spec the system, it's my younger brothers pc not mine btw

normal case and 300 psu
80GB Maxtor DiamondMAX+10 133/7200
Intel Celeron D326 [2.53,RET,775]
crucial 512mb DDR PC3200 ram
Asrock 775VM800
sony dvd/rw x16
pci wireless card 54g
no gfx card plugged in yet

please note that when i turn it on the psu gan works, the cpu's fan works, the dvd works and the hard drive is spinning. it's just that it's not displaying anything also there are no beeps.
thanks

Associate
OP
ok made a bit of progress. after watching a short video that came with the motherboard cd i installed the cpu wrong :eek: i didn't take of the black cover bit which protects the actual processor. so luckly no damage has been done to the pins. i booted it up and got a message saying please insert media disk or something into boot device and press a key. is this the message that i'm meant to get. so i inserted microsoft xp into dvd drive and rebooted. i got the same message. the keyboard wasn't working so i'm unable to press a key i tried it with a usb keyboard but that doesn't work either. i tried resetting the cmos by putting a jumper on the right bit of the motherboard.

so any words of wisdom that could get it to boot from the disk so that i can install xp?????

thanks

Soldato
lol fair enough, just checking. hmmm, have you gone into the bios and changed the boot sequence order..

So instead of:

1. Hard Drive
2. whatever it says
3. whatever it says
etc

Change it too:

1. CD Drive
2. HardDrive
3. whatever you want

Then insert your XP boot disc and save changes in the bios. Now when you reboot you should hear the cd drive spin up and should work properly now.

Mark

edit: forgot about keyboard hmmmm :confused:

Back
Top Bottom