Just gave blood again, do you?

Soldato
Demand goes up and down and I imagine if they have any shortages they can deploy mobile collections. The donation centre where I donate platelets/plasma is always very busy and much bigger than the place it was in (I think) 7-8 years ago. I don't see so many temporary donation centres anymore. It's probably a cost thing, I think they've focussed more on centres in cities where they are more likely to get blood from people they need.
They used to hire a room in the local sports centre so most likely a cost cutting exercise then.

Financial cutbacks! Its not 2005 anymore!
Yep it's the race to the bottom same with everyone else.

Soldato
I get a call usually the week after I donate ensuring I'm signed up for my next one. Did have to travel to a different donation centre for this one, but hardly a hardship.

Depends were you live and what the transport is like. Public transport is dire anywhere that isn't a city centre you know.

Commissario
They've been very forceful, I've been phoned a few times since my last donation, trying to book one for me but there haven't been any suitable slots. They keep trying to get me to go to Felixstowe because 'it's less than ten miles away from you, sir". Yes, it's only ten miles as the crow flies but it takes well over an hour to drive there.

My last couple of sessions, I've driven half an hour to donate.

There are so many people and so few sessions locally that it's a real struggle to get an appointment. I miss the time where, after you donated, you could book your next session with them manually before you left the centre.

However, they've finally been able to set up at a place they used to use many years ago and it's less than three miles from me so I'm booked in for Friday after work.

Back
Top Bottom