Just gone blueyonder 10mb not worth it!

Associate
Hi, I went over to 10mb from 4mb and I cannot see the point unless you do a lot of multiple downloads or downloaqd from uk servers, from most servers the download is limited to the server you are downloading from.

I get 1.1mb per second from ftp.bluyonder but most others peak at anywhere from 400k-700k.

Well at least I can say I tried it! gonna go back to 4mb.

I thought I would be able to download movies from xbox live but its really slow.

Soldato
I bought Internet Download Manager for round about $15
Worth it for a years subscription, and I always max out my Blueyonder 10mb connection:)

Associate
blueyonder is very hit and miss at the moment.

It can be shockingly bad in some places.

I'm on 10 meg and for about a month I've been lucky to get 4 meg download speeds.

Also it's worth noting that blueyonder have started throttling users between peak hours.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/21/blueyonder_gets_throttled/

Not sure if this is only "heavy users" who are throttled or everyone

But best idea for grabbing stuff at full speed is download managers and let it use 3-4 connections.

Wouldn't count on downloading stuff from xbox live too fast at moment as it seems to crawl for couple of people I know.

Havent they just rolled out streaming tv in America though on xbox live. Although that shouldn't really affect uk services.

Associate
what free download manager do you recommend, my 8mb connection always hangs and stalls so will one help in anyway???

Man of Honour
All you need to do is find good sources (or as mentioned use a multi-threaded download manager).

I've got 10mbit and I wouldn't want to have to go back to anything much slower. Even if you aren't maxing out your speed, it's good to have some bandwidth left over for browsing etc.

Associate
I use the 10Mb BY connection and also a giganews account and am always downloading at 9.4Mbps if I am not running any P2P software in the background. If there is P2P running then the news download speed drops to about 6.5Mb or 7Mb.

Depending on where you are in the counrty BY are trialling port throttling as previously mentioned and they will role it out nationwide soon.

I really noticed the speed difference between 4Mb and 10Mb and would hate to have to change back to a slower connection

Soldato
sepulchre said:
Like Dozer says Blueyonder is very hit and miss at the moment. I'm currently getting a startling 27k/s download from the blueyonder ftp server lmao some 10mb connection this, so worth £35/mo.....

I find it funny how you can laugh at such a thing! :D made me chuckle!
But I would ring up there support and complain as you are not getting the service you are paying for

Associate
on the phone now, so far been accientally disconencted twice passed to tech supoprt, back to cutomer services and back to tech suport, who are refusing to say anything other than somebody is working on it, which is BS, if someone had been working on it since yesterday then some form of an update would be available for customers.

They plainyl want to palm me off with some BS, the truth of the matter is the UBR's in the local area are oversubscribbed and have been since last November but they wont spend the money on upgrading the local network.

Not really laughing any more :(

Back
Top Bottom