• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

just got 8800gts

Soldato
The saving is finally over & I'm happy to be back on these forums not moaning about SLI bugs with old 7800's.

Just got a BFG 8800gts, saving £70 over a gtx & relieved it clocks to 630 core 2Ghz memory. These clocks I think make it 5% slower than a stock gtx ?

I wasn't immediately blown away by its performance in benchmarks like 3dmark, as not being much faster than 2x 7800's. Worried my old 4400 at 2.64 couldn't feed it enough I tried new stuff and the results are follows:
FPS
2x7800gtx / 8800gts @630,2ghz
Vegas 60 / 100
nfsc 25 / 72
cell factor 14 / 45

Soft shadows still kills Vegas (poor programming?) & enabling 4x aa on nfsc has little impact.

It runs cool, idling at 63c & hitting 75c under load. Dies at >70c @ 650.

Just need some dx10 stuff now :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Well going by the figures you posted, the minimum performance increase you've got is 40% in Vegas, with a massive increase in the other two apps. What res are you running at, game settings , etc?
these 8800 cards really come into their own at higher resolutions, but will still give exceptional minimum framerates at lower resolutions. Besides, the card is for gaming, not running benchies :p . These are synthetic apps, only good for checking if the pc is running in or around the correct performance, when compared to other ppl's machines, whereas games are a far better yardstick to use.
If you can, try running the games at a higher res and then compare. Also, imagine what that card'll do if paired with a C2D prozzie.

Associate
Vegas is really poorly coded so thats you problem I would imagine.

Before I was using a 7900GTO and since getting my new card I noticed the game feeels much smoother and the frames increased slighlty. I you look at the system requirements the reccomended processor speed is high 3.5ghz, I think its got somthing with I being an x-box port and the majority of people are running it at processor speeds below the reccomended.

So I wouldnt worry too much about vegas its just poorly optimised. In most games your processor should not bottleneck you as new games only really care about the graphics card nowadays. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a 19" monitor so stuck with 1280x1024.
Vegas was maxed except shadows at low, nfsc maxed as max can go, cell-factor maxed except cloth (no agea) + per pixel motion blurring -drops to 24fps then.

With skipping a generation I can really see the difference in g80, also I've heard that dx10 dumps a lot more load onto the GPU, which is good news for us older AMD owners not yet gone core2.

Top Bottom