just got a rift s... such a great upgrade

Associate
Just up[graded my CV1 to a rift s, to me it is such a massive upgrade, it's so much clearer and the god rays are almost gone. most of all no more stupid usb sensor issues I got constantly with the CV1.

The build quality is terrible, but thats minor in comparison.

Soldato
I use my CV1 for sim racing and just built a rig for a friend with the S and had a chance to compare the two.
Stock VS stock, the S is a big upgrade visually. But Project Cars 2 (my favorite sim) has a "sharpening tool" that helps make the image a lot clearer in the CV1. I didn't try tweaking the S, so I originally compared my dialed-in CV1 against the S with all the "dials" tuned for the CV1 and the sharpening settings that work so well for my CV1 actually created screen door in the S. Once I realized why the S looked so bad, I changed the settings to default and then the S got a lot better and the CV1 got a lot worse. (I don't know how I ever tolerated such blurriness)

Dialed in CV1 vs default S, the S is a decent upgrade, but not enough to make me go buy one. The sound on the S was a great idea (being able to hear your surroundings is nice) but I would want better sound and I it doesn't seem like over-the-ear headphones will work well with the S.

Associate
OP
I use my CV1 for sim racing and just built a rig for a friend with the S and had a chance to compare the two.
Stock VS stock, the S is a big upgrade visually. But Project Cars 2 (my favorite sim) has a "sharpening tool" that helps make the image a lot clearer in the CV1. I didn't try tweaking the S, so I originally compared my dialed-in CV1 against the S with all the "dials" tuned for the CV1 and the sharpening settings that work so well for my CV1 actually created screen door in the S. Once I realized why the S looked so bad, I changed the settings to default and then the S got a lot better and the CV1 got a lot worse. (I don't know how I ever tolerated such blurriness)

Dialed in CV1 vs default S, the S is a decent upgrade, but not enough to make me go buy one. The sound on the S was a great idea (being able to hear your surroundings is nice) but I would want better sound and I it doesn't seem like over-the-ear headphones will work well with the S.
They work fine for me, just depends what headphones you get I suppose. the original CV1 headphones were fantastic, they should have kept something similar. Main reason I upgraded was the constant sensor issues, I haad 3 seperate USB expansion cards each with their own controller... still had issues every single time.

Associate
I upgraded too, and just sold my CV1 for 225 quid which was pretty decent, made the S upgrade a pretty decent one.
Visually its so much better and the design is top drawer, really love the adjustment on the headband, sound is ok as well, was concerned at first but its decent and have no issues with it.
Playing my driving sims, is so much better visually so glad I made the jump.

Associate
I found Koss headphones work well with the Rift-S. Someone modded them for the Rift-S: https://imgur.com/gallery/V7zKoN9

I haven't bothered to butcher them and just clip them on and tie up the cable. Far better sound quality and comfortable (doesn't interfere with the HMD halo strap). For most room scale games I just use the HMD audio, but for seated (racing, ED etc) these headphones are pretty good. I got mine on Amazon for £18.

Man of Honour
Ordered a Rift S tonight :) sold my CV1 years ago as I was an early adopter and there was basically no software! I'm looking forward to all the new experiences and hopefully I can sim race in this one.

Soldato
Sent mine back a few days after purchase, Visually to me it was a huge upgrade over the CV1 but that 10Hz less really made a difference to me and gave me some severe motion sickness and headaches.

Soldato
Sent mine back a few days after purchase, Visually to me it was a huge upgrade over the CV1 but that 10Hz less really made a difference to me and gave me some severe motion sickness and headaches.

I had a similar experience when I tested the S, but it turned out to be ASW. Basically, my CV1 game settings were too much to run the S with. I couldn't hold 80 fps, so I was looking at 40 ASW.

Once I dropped the game settings enough to hold 80 fps on the S, it was smooth for me.

(Project Cars 2 was the game.)

Soldato
I had a similar experience when I tested the S, but it turned out to be ASW. Basically, my CV1 game settings were too much to run the S with. I couldn't hold 80 fps, so I was looking at 40 ASW.

Once I dropped the game settings enough to hold 80 fps on the S, it was smooth for me.

(Project Cars 2 was the game.)

Yeah I tried that, Sadly just seems like 80Hz is too low for me.

Soldato
Yeah I tried that, Sadly just seems like 80Hz is too low for me.

hmm, there was something else wrong. Running at 80Hz wouldn't make you motion sick. Motion sickness happens for two reasons, people aren't used to the disconnect between what their eyes are telling them and what their body is doing. It takes a little while to get used to. The second reason is constantly dropping below the screens refresh rate.

The fact that you were getting headaches suggests to me that it was some problem with your IPD and the lenses. If I was on the old Rift and had the IPD set wrong, I would get headaches and nausea, just like you were experiencing. I have no problem with the Rift s though. For some people, due to head shape, IPD, plain bad luck, etc, just can't get the Rift S in the right position. It might be clear enough picture but, it's not quite right and that causes headaches. For those people, like yourself, there really needed to be a physical IPD adjustment like the old Rift.

No matter what the reason though, it really sucks for you.

Soldato
hmm, there was something else wrong. Running at 80Hz wouldn't make you motion sick. Motion sickness happens for two reasons, people aren't used to the disconnect between what their eyes are telling them and what their body is doing. It takes a little while to get used to. The second reason is constantly dropping below the screens refresh rate.

The fact that you were getting headaches suggests to me that it was some problem with your IPD and the lenses. If I was on the old Rift and had the IPD set wrong, I would get headaches and nausea, just like you were experiencing. I have no problem with the Rift s though. For some people, due to head shape, IPD, plain bad luck, etc, just can't get the Rift S in the right position. It might be clear enough picture but, it's not quite right and that causes headaches. For those people, like yourself, there really needed to be a physical IPD adjustment like the old Rift.

No matter what the reason though, it really sucks for you.

Definitely was the lower refresh rate, I tried everything else, The only thing I couldn't change was the refresh rate, Tried the original Rift with its 90Hz and had zero problems.

Soldato
Definitely was the lower refresh rate, I tried everything else, The only thing I couldn't change was the refresh rate, Tried the original Rift with its 90Hz and had zero problems.

You can't change the shape of your head or your IPD either. Playing at 80Hz won't give you motion sickness and won't give you headaches. But the wrong IPD will have both of those symptoms. You didn't have problems with the Rift because it had dual screens and you could physically adjust the lenses with the IPD slider. You can't with the Rift S, it's only a single LCD screen with fixed lenses, and you change the IPD using software. But, For some people this doesn't work.

Sometime making headset adjustments can solve the problem by getting the lenses into nearly the correct position, but, this doesn't always work.

It's why you see the arguments on Reddit and Oculus all the time. Some people saying that the have an IPD outside the recommend range and are having no problems and others saying that if your IPD isn't exactly match with the lenses you will get problems. It really depends on the person. And that's the problem with the Rift S having no physical IPD adjustment. It works fine for most people but for those that are affected by the IPD issue, there is no solution.

Soldato
I bought the cv1 second hand off mm and enjoyed it. Don't play as much as I did at the start. Did get custom lenses made and they won't transfer to the s makes me not want to rush to the s if I have to lay out another 75 quid to avoid taking glasses in

Man of Honour
Beat Saber with the mods what a game! my daughter can't get enough of it and it's great exercise

The Sim Racing now is useable and it doesn't make me want to chuck my guts up like the old Rift :D so far im loving it

Back
Top Bottom