Just got back from servicing the puma ( Pics )

Soldato
I know you love your car and rightly so but although limited in numbers it isn't good enough in performance to warrant that level of exspense to maintain, especially as you will out grow it and want something faster pretty quickly.

Although for your age it is a pretty impressive car ;).

For not that much more than you paid I am looking at a 14" 4pot brake kit for my car on a group buy direct from the states (AP I think). I would have binned the standard calipers and bought some better ones with seals, might have cost more but it would have been cheaper in the long run.

Just spare a thought to the fact that all this money you are having to throw at an average performing car could be going towards buying an outstanding performing car in a few years time.

Man I thought I bought an exspensive car to service :p

Caporegime
Surprised they don't put dust seals on a road car to be honest, bit of a poor idea by Ford on that one.

Wilwood 4 pots are not dust selaed but are only £105 each.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Simon said:
Wilwood 4 pots are not dust selaed but are only £105 each.

I've seen the Wilwood midilite which IS a 4 pot dust sealed caliper for £120 :)

Which has got me thinking, what else would I need to bolt these on to my Saxo, obviously new pads and bigger discs but what else?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I remember reading an Evo mag buyers guide to the FRP and they said the discs cost around £220 a set too!

Soldato
GT3 said:

Which has got me thinking, what else would I need to bolt these on to my Saxo, obviously new pads and bigger discs but what else?

Suitable carriers to attach them to your car.

Caporegime
GT3 said:

Carriers are the main bit. I designed mine and got a guy on the Rover forums to make them for me. Over time they pay for themselves. £30 for a set of 4 pads and £50 each for 310x32mm disks. Bargain

Soldato
Nice to meet you sam, hope the car is ok.

The price for brake fluid, does that include the labour? (or is that in the normal service schedule?) My brake fluid, premium 5.1 stuff used on all Guglielmi's race cars is about £12. I wouldn't have bothered with the Denso plugs either as they're a bit overhyped.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Steve said:
I know you love your car and rightly so but although limited in numbers it isn't good enough in performance to warrant that level of exspense to maintain, especially as you will out grow it and want something faster pretty quickly.

Although for your age it is a pretty impressive car ;).

For not that much more than you paid I am looking at a 14" 4pot brake kit for my car on a group buy direct from the states (AP I think). I would have binned the standard calipers and bought some better ones with seals, might have cost more but it would have been cheaper in the long run.

Just spare a thought to the fact that all this money you are having to throw at an average performing car could be going towards buying an outstanding performing car in a few years time.

Man I thought I bought an exspensive car to service :p

Average peforming car ? I think you would have a little bit of a shock if you saw it being driven properley on track :p As i have said before 0-60 isnt everything and it seems its the only thing the FRP dosent offer. The package as a whole is what its all about. The Handling is just sublime the best handling FWD car ever made IMO. The Seats are just fantastic , the noise it makes is simply insane. Its a very rare car and it looks just stunning. Remember im 18 and insuring anything remotley quick is a real problem.

Muncher

£59.99 is to have the old stuff flushed out , the new stuff put in and oviousley it includes the fluid :) I just thought i might as well get the best hence why i got the densos.

Cheers Guys

Sam

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Oh i looked at new brakes for it

Theres a 4 pot brembo kit which includes everything to get you going ( discs / pads / carriers etc ) but thats over £1000. I did think about that but

A. I wanted to keep my alcons and keep the car standard

B. The brakes are not that bad to maintain, just got to clean them myself which simply involves removing the pads and giving them a quick clean with brake cleaner.

Who ever said something about £475 every year , thats the first one and its 6 years old now.

Associate
Steve said:
I know you love your car and rightly so but although limited in numbers it isn't good enough in performance to warrant that level of exspense to maintain*snip*

You've not driven the FRP have you?

Soldato
Simply a stunning car the FRP is :D

Ive been lucky enough to sit in one, nice comfy seats tho, one of the best if not the BEST looking ford car of all time me thinks!

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
frp1.jpg

frp2.jpg

frp3.jpg

Top Gear April 200

Sam

Last edited:
Associate
Looking good Sam, spent £900 myself at Pumaspeed on Friday so I know how your wallet feels :p

(Stalling problem probably is the idle control valve, been there as well :mad: )

Back
Top Bottom