Just knocked a kid over while driving car!

Soldato
Kid ran out from a row of parked cars in a one way street!

I jammed my brakes on immediately. I thought i had hit him but it looks like as i stopped my car wheel hit his foot only! He was screaming.

I skidded a tiny bit as i was doing under 30, maybe 25.

His trainer was sitting right in front of my left front wheel.

Guess how old the kid was? 6!!!! 6 years old and left to play on the streets on his own!

I stayed with him as they called his dad over. He was apologetic about his kid running in front of me but i said i didn't care about my car at all. Just his son. No damage at all to my car.

He said he would have to take his kid to hospital but had no transport so i offered and took them both. By the time we got to A&E the boy was calm and able to walk a little. Hopefully nothing broken. I gave the dad my name and phone number etc and told him to contact me to tell me if boy is ok.

Not sure if i should have called the police but the boy didnt seem to be in a serious condition and the dad was not bothered. He said he is always telling them about running across the road.

My daughter is nearly 11 and i would never have left her out on her own at 6, let along 11 years old!!

I was shocked by it all to be honest.

Man of Honour
Find it shocking in my neighbourhood how many just let their kids run out in the street - so many close calls - we had one knocked down and killed a few years back and another went under a car and had to have skin grafts on both legs :( could have been totally avoided if the parents had looked out for them better.

Associate
As this is an injury collision, where injury is caused to a person other than the driver of the vehicle involved, you have to report the matter to your local Police within 24 hours and as soon as practicable within that 24 hours.

Theoretically if you carry your Insurance Certificate with you and produce it to anyone at the scene who has reasonable grounds for viewing it, you do not have to report the matter to your Local Police Station. In this case it appears you did not, so you will have to report it.

I wouldn't worry too much, given the circumstances it is unlikely that any proceedings will be taken. make sure you take your Insurance, MOT and Driving Licence to the Station when you report the matter, whilst the details can be obtained from various Police/DVLA Databases it makes it much easier for the Clerk/PC taking the details to take them from your documents.

Lastly - you're probably going to get a bill from the NHS as well. Standard practice this one, details at

http://www.trafficaccidentadvice.co.uk/who-pays-for-hospital-treatment-after-accident.html

You need to report the collision to your Insurance Company, firstly so that if you do get a bill from the NHS they can sort it out. Secondly you have a duty to advise your Insurance Company of any change of circumstances in relation to your Policy. If you do not disclose it, they can void the Insurance or refuse to pay out in future. You have an ongoing responsibility to disclose the collision when applying for a future Policy as well.

Make sure you report it as soon as you can and get it on record with the Police - saves a lot of bother if the Father decides to make a song and dance about it, reports it to the local Station and they then realise you didn't report it at all.

Soldato
As this is an injury collision, where injury is caused to a person other than the driver of the vehicle involved, you have to report the matter to your local Police within 24 hours and as soon as practicable within that 24 hours.

Theoretically if you carry your Insurance Certificate with you and produce it to anyone at the scene who has reasonable grounds for viewing it, you do not have to report the matter to your Local Police Station. In this case it appears you did not, so you will have to report it.

I wouldn't worry too much, given the circumstances it is unlikely that any proceedings will be taken. make sure you take your Insurance, MOT and Driving Licence to the Station when you report the matter, whilst the details can be obtained from various Police/DVLA Databases it makes it much easier for the Clerk/PC taking the details to take them from your documents.

Lastly - you're probably going to get a bill from the NHS as well. Standard practice this one, details at

http://www.trafficaccidentadvice.co.uk/who-pays-for-hospital-treatment-after-accident.html

Make sure you report it as soon as you can and get it on record with the Police - saves a lot of bother if the Father decides to make a song and dance about it, reports it to the local Station and they then realise you didn't report it at all.
I never new that, always assumed it was paid for by the money that comes out of most people's wages each month.

Associate
Most people don't, the NHS is 'free' to the extent that peoples taxes pay for it, but in the case of injury collisions they can and do claim the costs off the driver.

Another one, that is Accident related, but slightly off topic, is the fact that when people are involved in Collisions that disable their vehicle, they often say "Oh its ok I'm in the AA or RAC, they'll recover me for free.." You should see their faces when I tell them that the AA and RAC are 'Breakdown' recovery services and that they will bill them for recovering their damaged car from the scene.

Soldato
Well done for stopping before a proper hit. Sounds like everything will be fine for the boy.

This sort of scenario is why I stick below 20 on small streets with parked cars either side: just too much around to be able to spot potential kids who are about to run out.

Hate being in cars with people who bomb along at 30-35mph on those roads. Just isn't the right speed for it.

Soldato
I agreed - I'd pop into the local police station asap and get it discussed with them. Mainly to "head things off" before they may suddenly come back at you.

You know how these things go - no initial damage all fine etc etc - then suddenly next week, police turn up at the door and insurance is calling you etc etc. Go speak to the police at your local station just to be sure.

Soldato
Associate
Nope. The bill is sent to the driver of the vehicle involved in the collision by the NHS. It normally gets paid by the drivers Insurance. It often comes as a bit of sting in the tail following a collision. Sure you could try to pass on the bill, but it is legally enforceable against the driver.

Although I knew that there was a law on it, I didn't until a few minutes ago know the exact Act and Section, apparently it is

section 157 Road Traffic Act 1988
section 158 Road Traffic Act 1988

Last edited:
Soldato
Me and a mate of mine went out a couple of weekends ago to the pics.
He was driving his 'new car' - it was only a couple of weeks old.

We're driving down the ring road and see two pedestrians run out into the first lane, we swerved into the second lane, one of them stops, the other keeps running! We skidded into the third lane to get out of their way and the numpty who didn't stop running - RAN STRAIGHT INTO THE SIDE OF THE CAR!!!

Bounced off the front pillar (he hit the wing on the side too, trying to pull some sort of drunken dukes of hazzard move or somat).

Man I thought we killed him - he was laying face flat down. I wouldn't let anyone touch him until he moved over himself. Two broken arms and a leg (I kid not). Numpty was so high on alcohol he claimed he couldn't feel anything!! 10 pints of carling one of his mates said?

Cops closed the whole ring road, (I was directing traffic for the first 15 minutes myself!) - They turned up AFTER reviewing the footage and even though it was clearly his fault it was marked down as a Major RTC - pedestrian at fault.

One of the polish dudes who was helping us nurse the injured dude nicked his mobile phone too!!! - cops couldn't stop laughing!

Anyhow - clearly NOT our fault - but as it involved a pedestrian they have to go all out and check everything.

Just be glad no-one was seriously hurt

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope. The bill is sent to the driver of the vehicle involved in the collision by the NHS. It normally gets paid by the drivers Insurance. It often comes as a bit of sting in the tail following a collision. Sure you could try to pass on the bill, but it is legally enforceable against the driver.

Small claims time then, another good reason to have a dashcam

Soldato
Well why should you be out of pocket for it?

Maybe not legally, but it hardly seems just or moral to be penalised for an accident which wasn't your fault, but then the law and justice/morality seem to be rarely in alignment these days

Associate
Good luck on that one (small claims court). Playing Devils Advocate, the child did nothing wrong in law. He being 6 years old, has no concept in law of right or wrong. Sadly there is no law as in America of 'Jaywalking'. The onus on any driver is to drive to the conditions and surroundings - it is called hazard perception. The standard of driving has to be in accordance with the Highway Code and deviation from this could lead to charges of Driving without Due care and attention.

That said I have every sympathy with the OP and I am certainly not having a go at him. It is something at could happen to any one of us at any time.

Dashcam, as you say, can be a very useful tool. It would certainly show that you were driving carefully.

As for the bill, if it arrives, the Insurance Companies are well used to it and will simply pay it, you just forward it onto them - another reason for letting them know.

Soldato
Good luck on that one (small claims court). Playing Devils Advocate, the child did nothing wrong. Sadly there is no law as in America of 'Jaywalking'. The onus on any driver is to drive to the conditions and surroundings - it is called hazard perception. The standard of driving has to be in accordance with the Highway Code and deviation from this could lead to charges of Driving without Due care and attention.

That said I have every sympathy with the OP and I am certainly not having a go at him. It is something at could happen to any one of us at any time.

Dashcam, as you say, can be a very useful tool. It would certainly show that you were driving carefully.

As for the bill, if it arrives, the Insurance Companies are well used to it and will simply pay it.

Resulting in an increase in premiums for the next 3-5 years.

Soldato
I've seen some rough things happen/almost happen to kids who run out into streets.

I remember a small kid once no more than 11 years old running across a dual carriageway behind the brow of a hill. I was in the car when this happend and it almost caused a pileup avoiding him.

In terms of insurance i remember seeing a young child (13years old) get run over ( with his legs clearly broken ) by a 70+ Y/o driver in his jaguar who cut a red light. Naturally i offered to give evidence/my view of this situation regarding the incident. I was shocked when the only contact i received was from an insurance company requesting information about an accident involving their clients vehicle and it's damage. I can only imagine he tried to claim the child damaged his car but needles to say i let them know the truth.

Associate
I don't think that is the reason why your insurance premium would be raised. I suspect it would be due to the fact that you have been involved in an collision (regardless of whether or not it was your fault or not). A fact that you have to tell the Insurance company when applying for a new Policy.

Back
Top Bottom