Just ordered the Canon 200L F2.8 II

Associate
1ef200mmf_28_1_.jpg

gulp... not looking forward to paying for it but the credit card comes in handy eh! :p

It will HOPEFULLY arrive tomorrow so ill do my best to give you a review once i get it. I was sorely tempted to get the 70-200L but i have my reasons for going the extra for the prime and as i dont think anyone has one of these it will be nice to share the results and feedback i guess.

I also had my 50 F1.8 MKI arrive today also so im pretty pleased with my line up of lenses right now... well i cant bloody afford anything else now thats for sure! haha ;)

dod

dod

Soldato
nice, I thought about that before going for the 70-200 but the zoom is just more practical for me. Can't wait to see the results :)

Associate
OP
Yea i am looking forward to it. Hope the fixed length will just prove and education and a fun challenge and not have me running around with the tripod like a loon to get the right angle, frame etc haha

was £519 a good price? not that i want to know but that was the cheapest i found.

(begs cyKey to pick a good theme for the comp that works with my new lens haha)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sleepyd said:
Out of interest what swayed you to go for the prime?

i was reading all the reviews on fremiranda and the statements weighed in high at it having awesome sharpness throughout all the way to the edges where the 70-200 can lose a bit there. i think the higher aperture was also a factor, the faster shutter speeds would help. also because i was purely after it for telephoto purposes and was thinking of buying a 28-135 IS to cover the middle areas (sometime in the future!)

it might sound odd too but another reason is the 70-200 is widely available and as the 200 isnt i thought it would hold a good resale price if i ever decided to change.

i have had a bit of bad news. the lens it out of stock for about 2 weeks (and so is the 70-200) so i will have to wait anyway... in that time im gonna rethink it over. i am gonna give the Canon Lens EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM @ £389 some more thought over the 70-200 as well becuase i might be able to afford a flashgun as well for the same money... argh decisions eh!

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

I was just about to say well done on the purchase...but it looks like no more! This 200mm prime nearly had me moving towards it before I went for the 70-200. Currently really not regretting the purchase of the 70-200, I bought mine secondhand for just under £400 still with 3 months warranty on it.

If your cash bound like me then I suggest you consider secondhand, if the lens is in perfect condition (like mine) you can get yourself something really nice and save quite a bit on it to.

Here's hoping if I sell my 70-200 down the line I still hold a good amount of value on it!!

Tom

Associate
Congrats, I decided to go for the 200 2.8L over the 70-200 too, then had to put a deposit on a house so haven't gottit yet but will do soon. Hope it arrives quickly for you.

Col

Soldato
am a big fan of prime lenses myself at the moment even though zooms are easier to work with
for extra umph look into a 1.6x converter, I think they don't affect the AF ro the aperture where the 2.0x might

Soldato
I initially read your title as 'Just ordered Canon 200mm F1.8' and was shocked to say the least. The 200 L F2.8 is a very highly rated lens.

As for the primes vs zooms argument.
I've gone out with my 100mm Prime a few times and found I take photos that I otherwise wouldn't – different angles, closer framed subjects etc. When using a zoom lens you always tend to frame subjects in a similar way, a prime lens forces you to take the photo from where you are and your portfolio will be better for it.

Back
Top Bottom