Just picked up a Sony RX100 ii

Soldato
... and I'm really amazed by the quality of the camera and the photos. I wanted to get something decent for a motorbike trip later this year, and really didn't want the weight and volume of my old 5D2 and a couple of lenses so researched a decent compact and came across this.

Only taken a few shots so far today, but the quality seems really good. Clearly not on a par with the SLR but much better than I expected. I've clearly been missing how far things have moved on since I got the 5D2. It doesn't seem to know whether it is an SLR replacement or a traditional compact - there are all sorts of silly presets and stuff I'm never likely to use - but having so much control over the shot from such a small camera just seems... amazing.

Really pleasantly surprised. I'll try and grab a few shots over the next week or so, but given that this model (they're now on version 4) is a couple of years old I'm starting to realise that everybody knows this already!

Associate
Have to agree, in my time at ocuk forums the single best piece of advice I've ever listened to was to pick up an RX100.

There isn't a "bad" model, from I to IV it's a fantastic little thing, only had mine a couple of weeks and am thoroughly attached to it now.

Soldato
That's good to hear. Torn between getting a mk2 now or save a little bit for a mk3. Does sound like a bit of a miracle camera and look forward to seeing some shots

Associate
I'm also very pleased with mine. Got the RX100 III on sales and took all my pics on it on my hols in France and the DSLR stayed at home. I did miss my 10-22mm but quality wise it's very good. Also been comparing some night shots I took in Canary Whaf between the SLR and the RX100 and I can't tell much difference between the two..

Soldato
I ended up putting a ( red and black) paracord wrist strap on mine to help with holding the camera. I've never been too comfortable with its shape but maybe that's just an idiosyncrasy on my part. I got one of those brown retro leather cases on mine that makes me and it look really professional to hide my lack of skill (with it at the moment) :D

Last edited:
Associate
I recently picked up the Sony A5100 with the 16-50 and have been surprised at the quality for both video and stills.

I am still tempted by the RX100 IV or could just add to the kit bag some primes for the A5100.

The A5100 is portable enough with the kit lens but the RX100 is a lot smaller and can be easily taken anywhere. The main reason for still looking at it was if I only kept the 16-50 lens. The RX100 one is a lot faster.

At the moment any evening indoor shots get ramped up to ISO 3200. The assumption was the RX100 would allow for a cleaner image with the faster lens? I could invest in the Sony 35 and 50 1.8 but this means shooting a lot further back and running out of space. I mainly just shoot friends and family social gatherings.

Am I daft for wanting the faster lens on the RX100 over the Alpha or best to just get primes?

Thanks.

Caporegime
I recently picked up the Sony A5100 with the 16-50 and have been surprised at the quality for both video and stills.

I am still tempted by the RX100 IV or could just add to the kit bag some primes for the A5100.

The A5100 is portable enough with the kit lens but the RX100 is a lot smaller and can be easily taken anywhere. The main reason for still looking at it was if I only kept the 16-50 lens. The RX100 one is a lot faster.

At the moment any evening indoor shots get ramped up to ISO 3200. The assumption was the RX100 would allow for a cleaner image with the faster lens? I could invest in the Sony 35 and 50 1.8 but this means shooting a lot further back and running out of space. I mainly just shoot friends and family social gatherings.

Am I daft for wanting the faster lens on the RX100 over the Alpha or best to just get primes?

Thanks.

You have to take into account the sensor size, you are going to get at least 1stop advantage with the A5100.

Soldato
Surprisingly some of the sites rate the RX100 (including the IV) over the A5000 for shooting friends and family social gatherings whilst a number of personal reviews regard it as either being equivalent too or better than the A5000 when using its kit lens. If you were going for the IV you would need to ask yourself whether you would want to video in 4k or need to shoot at up to 16 fps? There is still the advantage of size/convenience to consider as well. Are the custom menu options for low light shooting the same available on both cameras?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Surprisingly some of the sites rate the RX100 (including the IV) over the A5000 for shooting friends and family social gatherings whilst a number of personal reviews regard it as either being equivalent too or better than the A5000 when using its kit lens. If you were going for the IV you would need to ask yourself whether you would want to video in 4k or need to shoot at up to 16 fps? There is still the advantage of size/convenience to consider as well. Are the custom menu options for low light shooting the same available on both cameras?

The RX100mk4 has less than a 1/3rd stop advantage over the Sony DA6000. The sensor might have a slightly higher efficiency but really, the differences a going to be pretty much invisible. With the A6000 if one adds a faster lens then they will quickly leap ahead of the RX100mk4.

Soldato
Do you mean the A5100? I understand what you are saying. It's just that there appears other certain advantages to getting the mk4 if he were still to keep the A5100.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you mean the A5100? I understand what you are saying. It's just that there appears other certain advantages to getting the mk4 if he were still to keep the A5100.

Yes, A5100. There may be other advantages but low light, high ISO scenarios is not one of them.

Associate
I am aware that the APS-C is significantly bigger than the 1" sensor but had assumed the 16-50 kit lens would lose out to the RX100 1.8 - 2.8 in similar conditions? I would use the video in 4k sparingly but the high frame rate could be handy for capturing the little ones.

Adding a faster lens to the A5100 such as the 35/50 1.8s will trump the RX100mk4 but sometimes the focal length may not work for group shots or activities indoors such as the living room or restaurant where space is tight. General outdoor walks it may work when you can step back more from the action.

I have a DSLR for anything more serious but just wanted something smaller to capture quick and decent videos and pictures without the added bulk.

The autofocus on the A5100 is very quick for video and photo. Not sure about the RX100 IV.

Back
Top Bottom