Just removed a swollen Li-Ion battery

Soldato
My wife was complaining about her work laptop playing up, and when I looked I realised the battery was fairly swollen.

We have removed it, so the laptop is made safe (and thankfully will happily run on the cable with no battery installed.

Is the battery safe as long as it's not connected up? Or is it still a potential fire risk? I suspect we might need to keep it in case her work want some kind of return for proof.

Associate
It is not likely to catch on fire unless it is already getting hot or is connected to something. However with lithium batteries its always better to be on the safe side as when they do let go it can be quite spectacular. So put it somewhere safe for now. As lithium batteries may not be sent through the post most firms I've dealt with regarding returns just ask for a photo of the battery showing both the swelling and its factory serial number. So your wife's work may just want that as proof so they can forward the photo to their laptop supplier.

Man of Honour
As jonchaz said they don't tend to fail catastrophically very easily but when they do go it can be dramatic... I actually had a lot of trouble getting a swollen, partially damaged li-ion battery to intentionally catch fire. I'd definitely store it somewhere it can't do any harm however.

Back
Top Bottom