• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just upgraded to 3950x... fans triggered up and down all the time (NO OC)

Associate
I guess its the same as Temperature Interval, default is 3 for everything, I think max is 5s. (btw, thats not my pic).

There is a setting called "Temperature Interval," and this can go from 1 to 3, and it determines how many degrees on either side of the curve the fan can be sensitive to. It's there to decrease abrupt changes in fan speed

Googled terms gigabyte temperature interval and above is from this review. It's temperature hysteresis, so settings are degrees not seconds.

I don't have any options for chipset fan. Can someone confirm if I need to update bios to latest version or something? I've heard there is a quick way and safe to do this these days, by pluging in a usb pendrive and its done automatically or something.

If I update it and there's a fan curve for it: What is the little fan really trying to cool? Like what values should I monitor if I go and flash the bios and add a fan curve to it that disables it? what temps are acceptable? since I have no idea what sensors to look at for this, I don't want to find out that temps are too high.

Q-Flash Plus will allow you to update BIOS via USB. If you can't see chipset fan profiles must be an old BIOS going by support page. I didn't link as unaware if mobo versions is with or without onboard wifi.

Associate
I don't have any options for chipset fan. Can someone confirm if I need to update bios to latest version or something? I've heard there is a quick way and safe to do this these days, by pluging in a usb pendrive and its done automatically or something.

If I update it and there's a fan curve for it: What is the little fan really trying to cool? Like what values should I monitor if I go and flash the bios and add a fan curve to it that disables it? what temps are acceptable? since I have no idea what sensors to look at for this, I don't want to find out that temps are too high.

The only fans that should be triggered by the cpu temp is/are the riser(s) used by the cpu cooler fan(s). Not sure what cpu cooler you are using but if third party, then you should invest on much quieter ones. I use 2 Cougar fans on my Noctua U12S coupled with fan smoothing in bios. As for the other fans such as case fans, as Grim5 said, if you really want a quiet system, then use a fan controller. I've owned an Akasa fan controller for about 6 years now and it controls up to 6 fans. As for the Chipset fan, as gupsterg said, update the bios and it should have a way to control it.

Associate
OP
From what I saw, the 3000 chips can ramp up the voltage too much on the default plans, if you install the chipset drivers you already get a set of new custom Ryzen plans, but using Windows balanced or power saver can change the behaviour positively too. I'd give it a try before you do anything more drastic, cos it's just a few clicks.

Im already on "balanced (recommended)" by default. "Power saver" sounds like something that would underperform, like what you use on a laptop to save battery.. so im not sure about that.

Btw, the rear fan shows 285 RPM while in the BIOS it showsa round 750 RPM. I did it to follow VRM MOS temp but was acting weird, it wasn't following that temp at all. It actually was at 0 RPM at some point, when I came back from a shower and the pc went into hibernation mode or something, I even had fans missing or something. Honestly this is ********. Im considering setting fixed RPM's for both frontal and rear fan, as high as possible without being noticeable and only have a curve for the CPU fan.

Associate
OP
The only fans that should be triggered by the cpu temp is/are the riser(s) used by the cpu cooler fan(s). Not sure what cpu cooler you are using but if third party, then you should invest on much quieter ones. I use 2 Cougar fans on my Noctua U12S coupled with fan smoothing in bios. As for the other fans such as case fans, as Grim5 said, if you really want a quiet system, then use a fan controller. I've owned an Akasa fan controller for about 6 years now and it controls up to 6 fans. As for the Chipset fan, as gupsterg said, update the bios and it should have a way to control it.

Im using this:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black.html

Im not a fan of fan controlers. When I was a kid I used to think having knobs on the computer looked cool, now I couldn't be bothered to do that.

As of right now im having problems. Rear fan RPM is too low, doesn't make sense. Like I said im considering setting fixed speeds for case fans or something. The Silent Wings 3 case fans aren't noticeable until around 900 rpm, at least the front ones, the one at the back may be more silent being 140mm I can run it at lower rpm.

I suggested rear fan following CPU because like I said, when the CPU fan goes up, it's pushing out hot air right in front of the rear fan, so why not also accelerate the rear fan at the same time so this hot hair is pushed out of the case quickly. But right now the rear fan is not following the curve, it's barely spinning at 285 RPM when Windows boots.

Soldato
Im already on "balanced (recommended)" by default. "Power saver" sounds like something that would underperform, like what you use on a laptop to save battery.. so im not sure about that.

Btw, the rear fan shows 285 RPM while in the BIOS it showsa round 750 RPM. I did it to follow VRM MOS temp but was acting weird, it wasn't following that temp at all.

Could try a different Fan header. or even another fan to rule out a fault.

If you havent done so already i would update the bios especially if its on an early bios as the 3950x wasnt released till late november so ideally you want a bios from after this date. It should reduce your max cpu voltage a bit to around 1.475 and help with unnecessary boosting.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Could try a different Fan header. or even another fan to rule out a fault.

If you havent done so already i would update the bios especially if its on an early bios as the 3950x wasnt released till late november so ideally you want a bios from after this date. It should reduce your max cpu voltage a bit to around 1.475 and help with unnecessary boosting.

Ok, but which version do I get? F10 or F11?

Soldato
Im using this:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black.html

Im not a fan of fan controlers. When I was a kid I used to think having knobs on the computer looked cool, now I couldn't be bothered to do that.

As of right now im having problems. Rear fan RPM is too low, doesn't make sense. Like I said im considering setting fixed speeds for case fans or something. The Silent Wings 3 case fans aren't noticeable until around 900 rpm, at least the front ones, the one at the back may be more silent being 140mm I can run it at lower rpm.

I suggested rear fan following CPU because like I said, when the CPU fan goes up, it's pushing out hot air right in front of the rear fan, so why not also accelerate the rear fan at the same time so this hot hair is pushed out of the case quickly. But right now the rear fan is not following the curve, it's barely spinning at 285 RPM when Windows boots.

what knobs? My fan controllers are controlled by software installed in windows and the settings are saved to controllers hidden behind the motherboard tray.

don't think anyone is using those weird button things you stick on the outside of the case

Associate
OP
With F11 and tweaking a flat curve up until 64c the computer is pretty much dead silent as I wanted, and it stays fresh, temps around 35-50 as it jumps around in clocks when needed, but the noctua 15 at 800 ish rpm is pretty much inaudible, im sure the R6 case dampening material helps too. With the new F11 and balanced plan for PCH fan the fan hasn't kicked in yet. Seems good to go. I still have to try how it does in heavy lifting so I will play some modern games later.

Associate
OP
Something I noticed is that the 3 front fans start creating a very subtle slow oscillating rumble past 800 rpm... any ideas why? I bought the Silent Wings 3 to avoid vibrations, im using anti vibration mounts on the "S" side.

Back
Top Bottom