Justin Carter put in jail for being sarcastic.

Soldato
Caporegime
I'm not sure what's more stupid, the comment he made or the authorities draconian response. I guess the kid has an excuse of being immature, the reaction is just stupid.

Man of Honour
Yep it is insane, however it's not the first one, some kids been in jail for ~10months for something similar and has now pleaded guilty and faces is it 10years. This kid will be the same, crazy American laws.

As someone said on youtube, what ever happened to evidence. No guns, no plans, good character witnesses. Yet forced to plead guilty as he wouldn't be found innocent.

aln

aln

Associate
For the record this is what he said:-

"I'm ****** in the head alright, I think I'ma shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent rain down and eat their still-beating hearts,".

It wasn't the smartest thing in the world to say but when I was his age I've probably said things that could land you in jail nowadays as a joke. Context is obviously important and missing here.

Land of the free, home ....

Lets be clear, this would probably happen in the UK too.

aln

aln

Associate
He might have been investigated, but I'm not sure he would currently be in prison facing 8 years for that over here.

Would he? :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-11736785

Convicted and fined for a joke on twitter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/14/woolwich-attack-racist-facebook-posts

Stupid idiot but obviously a joke getting a suspended sentence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/08/april-jones-teenager-jailed-facebook

3 months for a terrible sense of humour or being a **** you decide.

Being that we are in the UK, we'd probably give him a lighter sentence and our prisons would probably be less harsh, but if a school shooting happened here and someone posted something akin to that, based on the above, they'd probably end up with a conviction and possibly doing some actual time.

I'm of the opinion nobody should face prosecution for talking crap on the internet. Sure, keep an eye on the guy if you think he might be serious but until he does something wrong, leave him alone. Go after the guys organising riots on twitter, OK fair enough. Don't chase down kids because someone who didn't need to consume their crap got offended.

That's not to say you should get away with harrasment. If I email you death threats I would expect a stern talking to and if I persisted I would imagine more could happen. But that's a far cry from posting something on my own feed that you've chosen to follow on your own accord.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

LOl, non of them are in any way similar.
for a start they are targeted.

they aren't jokes.

threatening and tweeting to an airport a threat, is vastly different to joking with a non involved party saying your going to bomb them.

aln

aln

Associate
LOl, non of them are in any way similar.
for a start they are targeted.

they aren't jokes.

threatening and tweeting to an airport a threat, is vastly different to joking with a non involved party saying your going to bomb them.

The airport one was clearly a joke and anyone with a decent head on their shoulders is able to recognise that because it's a completely ridiculous statement poking fun at our current culture of irrational fear around airport threats. Obviously nobody would have expected to get convicted for this.

Matthew Woods comments were extremely distasteful but at least some of them like "Who in their right mind would abduct a ginger kid?" were obviously a joke. Others just came across as trolling but he no doubt did that because he's juvenile enough to think it's funny. It's not but failing at being funny is hardly worth prison.

The daft bint talking about burning down a mosque is hardly serious. She's trying to act cool by appealing to popular crude opinion amoung her peers along the lines of "LOL muslims are bad" or some other crap. You could easily suggest what she was saying was a joke, though you could also suggest she's just a ******* idiot.

Personally if you don't see the similarities, I'd suggest you're just a bit daft yourself. Take the stick outa your **** and understand we don't all share your sense of humour and stop trying to define what is and is not a joke based on your own standards. It simply is not up to you.

Last edited:
Soldato

The airport one was clearly a joke and anyone with a decent head on their shoulders is able to recognise that because it's a completely ridiculous statement poking fun at our current culture of irrational fear around airport threats. Obviously nobody would have expected to get convicted for this.

Back
Top Bottom