• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

K10 at 2.5 GHz beats Intel quad at 3.0+ : Run for the hills

Associate
carlazai said:
If correct, its all cat and mouse, very much like Gfx cards, one does better the other spends a year coming up with something even better.

Though if it is a summer release then i feel i will have enough pennies for a worthy upgrade and off load the c2d onto a friend so he can play FM2007 quicker :D

tbh cpu core development/competition and gpu development/competition have been very different animals since 3dfx hit the market way back when with its voodoo card. im looking forward to where multi-core development will take us.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Back in the land of 2007...

Agena won't be available at desktop prices until some time in 2008, according to the same source. And of course, it only takes one or two slips for Q1 to bcome Q4...

Whilst looking ahead is fun, it's never all that practical :p

Permabanned
Beware of "Nothing-to-Lose" Critters ...

OK for a bit of scurillous chinwag but when your talents are confined to wiping the floor with your butt, you’ll do anything to get noticed, especially when you have some mythical card named after you, purportedly, and the leap from Ati to Amd is to be expected. Amd did nobody any favours when it started the gouging when their prowess were acknowledged. Aren’t underdogs supposed to be grateful to those who fed them to maturity instead of baring their fangs, leading the charge to mad CPU pricing? Not when it’s all about money and power jostling. When there is no such thing as loyalty, keep the pressure up and the critters will learn to bite more gently the next time. Nobody breathes for another and misplaced loyalty merely breeds contempt. I’ll gladly kick Amd when they are down until they learn not to use my pocket for their journey to power paradise.

Permabanned
Only The Blind, Judges Others ......

SubstanceS abuse….. one is never enough. Those who reacted “violently”, ever wondered why you do so and in that manner? Why do people take sides and the more they think/feel they know, the more entrenched [another word for being unbalanced] their stance? Ever wondered why we have pairs of hands, feet, eyes, nose [with 2 orifices], etc but seemingly only one liver, pancreas, spleen? Not to mention the obvious [excretory] thingys. Perhaps it is earier to fathom this : Life is not about achievements but about Truth. Don’t let any old twist of the tongue unbalanced you. It’s only for those who are not balanced [so that they might be able to see/witness their state of equilibrium]. Judgements are reserved for those who are “blind”.

Caporegime
wtf, anyway, what do you mean so long? k10 this year, summer, late summer, august/september launch.

2nd half 2008 is refering to nehalem(cba'd to go check the spelling) from Intel and it looks to be a loser already. all the current info is that it will have on die mem controller as its main improvement, however as before it sounds a xeon part that no doubt will also make it a extreme edition £600+ part with all the rest of the desktop range being cheaper and no on die mem controller. 12mb, or 16mb of cache and all the ondie mem controller transistors and you'd have a massive and extremely expensive core. amd went with on die mem controller as it hugely hugely reduces latency without using massive numbers of transistors for cache. the core 2 duo has very similar latency to the x2 with on die mem controller and does that through massive and efficient, but expensive cache. its uneconomic and not very feasable to do both, to find both on a £150 bottom end quad core would absolutely kill intel so they just won't do it. theres a difference between making lower cache cores and cores with an without on die mem controller, i really doubt half or 1/4 of the range will have it, just the extreme editions.

it will no doubt get other tweaks but it already sounds like a slight upgrade, nothing like a new core.

penryn is already poopy :p , there are official benchmarks out, with sse4 apps its unsurprisingly much faster than its kentsfield counter part, but a 2.93Ghz kentsfield is only about 20% slower than a penryn in most applications, and that penryn tested against had 15% higher clock speed and the newer bus, it was a 3.33Ghz quad core on 1333Mhz bus. so its less than 5% better clock for clock performance over the current design. definately won't get them to the top for performance.

as i've said before, the only thing that will hold amd back will be clockspeed, they've clearly had clockspeed issues, xp's would easily clock to 2.7Ghz, ath 64's would easily clock to 2.7Ghz, x2's would then clock to 2.7Ghz easily, the next 300mhz were possible on all architechtures but rare and its taken 3-4 years for the 3Ghz mark to become fairly easy to obtain. there is a lot of info out there suggesting the agena/barcelona won't be coming out much past 2.5Ghz, and while thats fast enough. if intel can get a 3.33Ghz out fairly early in 2008 then it might beat it. but that will be the extreme edition, if low end quad cores can hit 3.3-3.5Ghz will be, well, unlikely i would think. will a low end amd quad core be able to hit 2.5Ghz easily though, i would very much think so.

EDIT:- every amd launch people talk about server chips first, desktop versions months and months later. don't believe it.

Man of Honour
It will be interesting to see the performance from the new chips in benchmarks, but the price of Core 2s now are very competitive, so they may be quick but too much £?

Caporegime
Duke said:
It will be interesting to see the performance from the new chips in benchmarks, but the price of Core 2s now are very competitive, so they may be quick but too much £?

yep thats been what i've been saying the last couple months. well mainly as, the Q6600 will be £170ish come september, i'm not convinced amd will have something similar in cost to compete. i mean i think they'll have something but i'm not entirely sure that it will be clocked high enough. if the £600 chip will be at a 2.5Ghz speed grade, then where will amd's £170-200 quad core low end be, 1.8Ghz. though it still might beat the Q6600.

but again to be fair, i'm not sure how long and how many Q6600's will be available, thats the pricing we're seeing its going to be, but penryn will be out then. maybe thats just the priced to clear point and there won't be large stocks or easy to get, and a 2.4Ghz quad core penryn won't be anywhere near that cheap. in which case AMD don't need to compete against temporary bargain basement sale prices.

obviously september will answer a lot of questions. but the major price points are whats important, it doesn't matter whose £600 chip is faster, they sell next to none of them, each price jump £50, £100, £150, £200, £250 are the chips that make it into dell systems and other brands, and those are the chips that need to be faster at that price. for most enthusiasts you normally get the £150 or £200 chip giving about the right price, quality of chip/cache amount and the right dividers/ratio's to make for the highest overclocks so thats likely to be the area we want to see amd do best, like the E6600 does now.

amd will be making them in 65nm and as long as yields are good we can hope they are very competitivly priced.

Associate
with overclocking as it is at the moment, most enthusiast are happy to buy CPUs in the 100-200 pound range and OC them till they pass out.

nice thing about CPUs, you can make up clock speed by OCing budget cores, and cache doesnt mean that much, but budget GFX tend to use different architecture, and you cant make up for lost pipelines as easily.

Heck, how many more people will happily spend 2/3x as much on a GFX than on a CPU?

AMD better be price competitive, gone are the days of the hot, energy intensive, expensive Netburst cores!

Back
Top Bottom