• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Kabylake gaming is good.

Associate
Just upgraded from an ivybridge system (3770k @ 4.5) to a 7700k running at 5.1ghz and all the games I use to have slowdowns and inconsistent frames are now completely smooth. This chip for gaming alone made the upgrade worthwhile.

Once I get delidded and on water I might push it past the 5.1 but not entirely necessary I don't think.

Associate
I think once you get past 4.8 or so there wont be much difference in gaming , here's a video which compares fps results between stock, 4.8 and 5.0.

Associate
OP
I am happy with my 5.1ghz clock. I noticed a huge difference in american truck simulator although I wasn't expecting to if i am honest. I get huge slow downs on my ivybridge system with this game in particular but my kabylake with a single 980ti @ 4k runs a solid 60fps at ultra settings. I dont expect all/many games to be this responsive to the system refresh but being able to run both systems side by side meant I could literally see the difference in front of my eyes in this game.

Associate
OP
Its more a general thing I have found with games. I've tried a few more games now and one probably worth mentioning because of its "newness" is resident evil 7. On my old system with the 3770k clocked at 4.5ghz I use to get tiny snippets of stutter or slow downs. Now on the kabylake setup running 5.1ghz there seems to be a solidness or fluidity to the gameplay. I run a constant 60fps @ 4k and maxed out.

As I said it seems a general thing with minor hiccups being 90% eradicated from games. I guess the new system is providing me with just enough extra headroom to keep me pegged at 60fps. Although not sure why seeing as I run 4k. Either way the system is performing very well and cooler on my new kabylake system.

Associate
I just upgraded from an 3770k @ 4.2Ghz 1600Mhz DDR3 to a 7700k @ permanent 4.5Ghz and 3200Mhz DDR4. Difference is night and day in some games. Total War and Forza have seen huge gains in terms of cranking up settings and eliminating stuttering. I'm so glad I ignored the people saying there wouldn't be much of a difference. For me in the games I play there has been great improvements.

Associate
I think once you get past 4.8 or so there wont be much difference in gaming , here's a video which compares fps results between stock, 4.8 and 5.0.

Thats what I found too. I tried mine at 4.8 then 5 and just tried Total War Attila and it didn't get me any noticeable improvement over 4.5. For now I'm happy at 4.5 with temps in the low 60's on air.

Associate
OP
One thing I will say though is my kabylake at 1.31v runs almost same temps as my 3770k delidded @ 1.23v so wether I would see any discernible difference delidding the 7700k is not known/possibly not worth it.

Associate
One thing I will say though is my kabylake at 1.31v runs almost same temps as my 3770k delidded @ 1.23v so wether I would see any discernible difference delidding the 7700k is not known/possibly not worth it.

So 5.1 with only 1.31v? Thats good as I only briefly tested mine at 5.0, but was throwing 1.35v through it. Just wanted to test to see if any gaming improvement on Total War. I was hitting 92C under IBT on air at 1.35v, so I may revisit at some point and try with lower volts. Though as mentioned earlier my performance gains seemed negligible, at least for Total War.

I agree on temps and my i7 7700k runs much cooler than my ivybridge. With [email protected] I was hitting low 80C on air regardless of coolers tried. [email protected] and its low 60's on air.

Associate
I'm trying so hard not to upgrade from my 3570 non K.. :( These threads make me wanna have a lil refresh!
For me I only ever upgrade when I love a game but need more performance. As per usual its often a war strategy like Total War. Despite having a GTX 1080 it still needed something more. The i7 7700k gave that. I had also assumed that all Forza issues were down to the game coding regardless of my cpu. Upgraded and I now run it totally maxed and never stutter anywhere including Surfers Paradise. In many games I'm sure Ivy was and still is fine, but there can sometimes be that one game that needs the extra grunt. The faster RAM will likely be helping too. :)

EDIT: And in fairness, what a cpu Ivy was, lasting me 4.5 years!

Associate
OP
For me I only ever upgrade when I love a game but need more performance. As per usual its often a war strategy like Total War. Despite having a GTX 1080 it still needed something more. The i7 7700k gave that. I had also assumed that all Forza issues were down to the game coding regardless of my cpu. Upgraded and I now run it totally maxed and never stutter anywhere including Surfers Paradise. In many games I'm sure Ivy was and still is fine, but there can sometimes be that one game that needs the extra grunt. The faster RAM will likely be helping too. :)

EDIT: And in fairness, what a cpu Ivy was, lasting me 4.5 years!

I still use my ivybridge in a different rig. Its done me proud for 5+yrs aswell so its now seeing out its retirement age in a general purpose rig at a more sedate speed and undervolted.lol

What res and settings do you use for forza? I guess this can only be horizon 3 you are talking about? Mind you I've only tried the demo so far!

Associate
I still use my ivybridge in a different rig. Its done me proud for 5+yrs aswell so its now seeing out its retirement age in a general purpose rig at a more sedate speed and undervolted.lol

What res and settings do you use for forza? I guess this can only be horizon 3 you are talking about? Mind you I've only tried the demo so far!

Only 1080P in my lounge on a 55 inch panel. Yeah Forza Horizon. All settings maxed, full AA etc. Before on Ivy I had to turn some settings down to low and medium just to make it generally playable, especially around Surfers Paradise. Now there's never any stutters anywhere. I can drive from one end of the large map to the other with no hitches at all. Quite the difference. :)

Associate
OP
Just tried battlefield 1.. Very nice results @ 4k ultra with 980ti sli and 7700k @ 5.1.

70+ fps.

GTA V for me is the killer atm, with my graphic mods etc.

What mods do you use? I need to load this game up again seems to respond well this game to system improvements.

Soldato
I'm trying so hard not to upgrade from my 3570 non K.. :( These threads make me wanna have a lil refresh!

I keep waiting hoping that something similar to Sandy comes along so I can get massive bang for buck, Ryzen was looking promising hopefully it'll be better once it materializes.

Back
Top Bottom