kawasaki ER-5 1997 starting problems

Soldato
I thought it would be the relay so I bridged the connection bypassing it but still same issue.
Also, a strange thing that seems to have gotten worse is when trying to start the bike it seems the throttle has to be in a certain position otherwise it won't even try to start.

For example, if the throttle is left idle and I hit the start button nothing would happen and I have to slowly turn the throttle to find the sweet spot for the starting process to happen lol.

You can sort of see it in the video as I turn the throttle it goes from trying to start then clicking, but before the clicking started today it would start but again only at a certain point in the throttle.

Thank you for any help.

Caporegime
Could be a few things but I'm gonna go with a dodgy connection in the start button.

Rule this out by connecting a jumper pack or jump leads to the battery and seeing if it changes. If youve got enough juice and it's still playing up, then it's a dodgy connection.

I'd go so far as to say it's in the start button itself. It's likely not the position of the throttle which is helping, but rather the amount of pressure needed to make the connection. Again you can rule this out by trying to start the bike again, but this time rotating the throttle with your fingers so you're not applying pressure anywhere.

Try those and let us know how you get on :)

edit: just rewatching your vid, looks like a flat battery and the whole "exact throttle" thing is a red herring. Try that first.

Soldato
OP
Just to add it's a new battery as I bought a new one thinking it would fix it and also night before testing I charged it up as well.

I will try my old battery fully charged to see what happens.

I wonder if it's my charger as it is very very old and maybe it not doing it's job.

Thank you.
---------------
Ordered a new battery charger as I needed a new one and then I know it's working and not the battery.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
I would check your reg/reg output using a multimeter when the bike is running.
I run a little LCD on most of my bikes to tell me current voltage all the time. As it's not uncommon with old bikes that they die and replacements are not always the greatest quality :(
The little screen can help you see in advance before the problem becomes major, and may just let you get to home before they conk our totally and you kill your battery :)

Soldato
OP
I think it was my 30ish-year-old charger not doing the job lol
It was given to me used when I got my first bike 16 years ago now.

I charged the battery for an hour and it started fine, so going to leave it now to fully charge and see what happens later.
Thank you.

Out with the old
IMG-20210923-201235360.jpg

In with the new... I should got a new one years ago lol.
IMG-20210923-171956066.jpg

Soldato
OP
Okay, I fully charged the battery and after bike stitting still for 2 days the battery flat again :(

This is on a pretty new battery, I don't have anything extra connected on the bike to drain power.
The only thing I can think of is to add an isolator switch and see how that goes?

Back
Top Bottom