Keep Kraken Pump on 'Performance' mode without NZXT CAM software?

Soldato
From what I have read the pump on the X62 can only be controlled via CAM software. The pump header is for RPM only (I have no idea why is has 2 pins). I assume they don't power the pump via the header as the pump will draw more power than a normal fan and could overload the header on some motherboards.

Does pump speed actual effect temps at all? Higher pump speeds only affect the temp delta between the warmest and coolest parts of the loop and shouldn't make much if any difference at all with a simple 1 block, 1 rad loop like the X62.

Associate
Correct. The only way to control the pump and fan speeds are through CAM. The pump header only reports RPM, can't control it. In fact, I don't even have it plugged.

Associate
OP
It's not so much the pump speeds but it's the fact that the pump defaults to take its temp from the liquid. You can only set it to ramp up and down with CPU temp by using CAM.

Associate
OP
NZXT have given me a copy of CAM 3.3.04 so I'll give that a try BUT it has to work 100% of the time in the background without me checking on it otherwise it's no good to me.

Soldato
How much of a difference does the pump speed make though? CAM utterly sucks balls - it's just flashy bloatware as far as I am concerned and I am super glad that I have an alternative for my Grid+ V2 but I can't find anything for the kraken.

Associate
OP
How much of a difference does the pump speed make though? CAM utterly sucks balls - it's just flashy bloatware as far as I am concerned and I am super glad that I have an alternative for my Grid+ V2 but I can't find anything for the kraken.
To be honest I don't know, I'll have to do some back to back tests with and without CAM and see what happens.

Associate
OP
It's not necessarily the pumps curve that might make a difference, I'd like the pump to react to CPU temp and not liquid temp. I'm pretty sure the Kraken defaults to liquid temp without CAM.

Associate
OP
Back to back test complete, results:

4.9GHz
1.35v
LLC 5
x264 stress test = PASS
CPU Rad fans running off motherboard set to 'Turbo'
CAM not installed (so Kraken on default settings whatever they are)
Max temp 84°C

And

4.9GHz
1.35v
LLC 5
x264 stress test = PASS
CPU Rad fans running off motherboard set to 'Turbo'
CAM Running, Kraken pump set to 'Performance' and taking its temp from CPU
Max temp 78°C

Conclusion, 6°C cooler with CAM running enabling Kraken pump to be set to performance and take its temp from the CPU instead of the liquid.

So basically I pretty much have to keep CAM running.

Associate
OP
Since they updated the interface I find CAM very stable and quite handy. Just make sure you are on the latest version. I even use it for overclocking my GPU and dont bother with MSI anymore.

Well the version I had yesterday was garbage but NZXT sent me a download link to ver 3.3.04 which I'm testing now for stability. When I click 'about CAM' though it shows version 3.3.0 for some reason.

Associate
OP
Just heard back from NZXT, apparently the Kraken is supposed to stay in whatever mode you last set it to even if you uninstall CAM. But I can't actually see anyway of testing this, because after setting it to Performance mode and uninstalling CAM I have no way of seeing what mode it's in anymore, and it doesn't report its rpm to the motherboard via its 2pin connector. And whenever I reinstall CAM it just shows everything back in Silent mode.

Associate
OP
Haha yeah it's pretty frustrating to be honest. NZXT have assured me though that it keeps its last known settings so in theory I can run CAM, set the Kraken up and then just set CAM to not start when Windows Boots.

I will set up a test though soon to differentiate between the Krakens settings.

Soldato
Hopefully it works for you but I have given up on what NZXT say. They assured me that the Grid+ V2 should vary fan speeds without CAM running - it does not. They assured me that the Grid+ V2 should run at the last speed set in CAM, even after restarts - it does not. In fact Someone far smarter than me had a look at the electronics and found that Grid+ V2 has no way of storing information. NZXT assured me that they were looking to thin out CAM to make it more lightweight and stable - they have not.

Associate
Agreed, funnily enough I was involved in another thread about 6 months ago where I said I considered CAM "Rapidly becoming bloatware" and got shouted down by a few people.
Interesting others are starting to see what I saw.

Problem I think is NZXT has got a team in to do the software, The software developers and NZXT "Ideas" don't match, I was always told it was going to be a light weight simple but powerful tool for pc control, now suddenly it does A on screen UI and FPS averages etc.

I am not interested in fluff, I can get one of 20 programs to do that, that already exists, but I am guessing the software people want to be seen "Giving more" rather than fix every little bug.

Associate
OP
Agreed, funnily enough I was involved in another thread about 6 months ago where I said I considered CAM "Rapidly becoming bloatware" and got shouted down by a few people.
Interesting others are starting to see what I saw.

Problem I think is NZXT has got a team in to do the software, The software developers and NZXT "Ideas" don't match, I was always told it was going to be a light weight simple but powerful tool for pc control, now suddenly it does A on screen UI and FPS averages etc.

I am not interested in fluff, I can get one of 20 programs to do that, that already exists, but I am guessing the software people want to be seen "Giving more" rather than fix every little bug.

I really wish the Krakens pump just ran off of a fan header on the motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom