Keeping a direct injection engine healthy

Soldato
We'll soon be getting a Polo from a family member (2016 1.2 TSI) and realising that A) going by past experience we will probably keep this car a long time (10 years maybe) and B) I know very little about direct injection, I was wondering how best to avoid the carbon build up that these seem to suffer?

It will be my wife primarily using it and she doesn't cover massive mileage so running it on V-Power is an option from a cost point of view but a little inconvenient. Would an occasional additive be an option? I keep hearing about Millers and well... I like their beer so I could give that a try ;)

Or am I over thinking it and should just fill it up at the supermarket like 95% of the other identical cars on the road do?

I've done a bit of googling and am now completely confused but this forum knows their technical stuff so I'd appreciate your input.

Soldato
OP
Excellent info, thanks all :) As for cleaning at 200k... with our current mileage we'll all be riding around in automated pods that we call up on demand by that point :p

Soldato
OP
Shell V power used to have a dedicated base fuel. Not sure now/ nor if they have started to use ethanol.

BP ultimate is 102 Ron in Germany as their ultimate is a dedicated base fuel for that product. Shame there isn’t the same refinery infrastructure here in the UK.
Thanks. We have a Shell and BP that we can use without really going out of our way so I'll suggest that she only uses those rather than chasing the 1p/l saving at Asda :D I think Shell works out about the same cost as long as I remember to keep activating the offers on the drivers club app.

Meh, who am I trying to kid. The last time she filled her own car up we had a labour government so I'll take it there myself :rolleyes: :p

EDIT - Quoted wrong post but you get the idea :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom