Keeping a direct injection engine healthy

Soldato
We'll soon be getting a Polo from a family member (2016 1.2 TSI) and realising that A) going by past experience we will probably keep this car a long time (10 years maybe) and B) I know very little about direct injection, I was wondering how best to avoid the carbon build up that these seem to suffer?

It will be my wife primarily using it and she doesn't cover massive mileage so running it on V-Power is an option from a cost point of view but a little inconvenient. Would an occasional additive be an option? I keep hearing about Millers and well... I like their beer so I could give that a try ;)

Or am I over thinking it and should just fill it up at the supermarket like 95% of the other identical cars on the road do?

I've done a bit of googling and am now completely confused but this forum knows their technical stuff so I'd appreciate your input.

Soldato
Wouldn't have thought it'd be an issue. Perhaps ensure occasional long runs or the odd fill up with V-Power if you're concerned.

Man of Honour
You can't really keep the valves of a GDI engine clean, as the fuel never hits the back of the valve. Only option is to walnut blast them. Or can try "terraclean GDI" lol

Soldato
Carbon will build up no matter what you do, unless you run meth injection with some oil catch cans.

Best to to deal with it is to get the valves walnut blasted every few years, gets all the gunk off.

Soldato
The carbon deposits for DI cars tend to be on the back of the valves, well away from the fuel/air mix, so fuel type makes no difference. If the car had no turbo then an occasional "Italian Tune-Up" (aka rev the nuts off it) will work a little bit to blow the residue off the valves but a manual clean is best. However on a turbo car like yours it's a different story as the amount of airflow created by the turbo massively reduces the amount of build up so it takes a lot longer to get so bad that it needs a clean.

When it comes to cleaning the only 100% guaranteed way to do it is a manual clean where the intake manifold comes off and someone scrapes away the deposits, all the other methods (except walnut blasting which is 90% as effective as a manual clean) make little to no difference.

So long story short, do nothing different, maybe look at getting it manually cleaned after 200k miles.

As an example, here is the valves of probably the worst Non-Turbo DI car - The Audi RS4 - which needs taking apart and manually cleaning approx every 30k miles.

rs4carbon.jpg

and here is my own Audi turbo engined DI valves after 100k miles - Very little build-up in comparison - the pressure created by the turbo blows most (but not all) of the carbon build-up off the valves before it can build up.

audi107.jpg

Soldato
OP
Excellent info, thanks all :) As for cleaning at 200k... with our current mileage we'll all be riding around in automated pods that we call up on demand by that point :p

Soldato
Running V Power will help keep the injectors clean which keeps the engine burning cleaner which should help but not totally eliminate the problem. The extra cost might not be worth it in the long run as a walnut blast isn’t that expensive.

I give my wife’s 1.6T Mini an italian tuneup every so often on the first couple of runs to the redline produces noticeable puffs of black smoke out the exhausts which I assume is carbon buildup.

A flat out run right up 3rd and 4th gear keeps the turbo flat out for a long time. Coasting back down then back on the throttle generally gives another significant puff before clearing up. I hope this will stop big build ups.

I never had this problem with my Golf as I drove it harder than my wife. The valves were pretty much clear at 120k, it was also ran on V Power from new.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The carbon deposits for DI cars tend to be on the back of the valves, well away from the fuel/air mix, so fuel type makes no difference. If the car had no turbo then an occasional "Italian Tune-Up" (aka rev the nuts off it) will work a little bit to blow the residue off the valves but a manual clean is best. However on a turbo car like yours it's a different story as the amount of airflow created by the turbo massively reduces the amount of build up so it takes a lot longer to get so bad that it needs a clean.

When it comes to cleaning the only 100% guaranteed way to do it is a manual clean where the intake manifold comes off and someone scrapes away the deposits, all the other methods (except walnut blasting which is 90% as effective as a manual clean) make little to no difference.

So long story short, do nothing different, maybe look at getting it manually cleaned after 200k miles.

As an example, here is the valves of probably the worst Non-Turbo DI car - The Audi RS4 - which needs taking apart and manually cleaning approx every 30k miles.

rs4carbon.jpg

and here is my own Audi turbo engined DI valves after 100k miles - Very little build-up in comparison - the pressure created by the turbo blows most (but not all) of the carbon build-up off the valves before it can build up.

audi107.jpg
My B7 RS4 was one of the first cars in the UK to start showing this back in the day. Audi flew Zee Germans over to look at my car, it was with Audi for 6 weeks soon after I had it, which was due to emissions lights coming on and then some deeps dives found coking issues.

Soldato
Yea more recent engines have gone back to using port injectors as well. Partly to help prevent this.

Buildup did seem to be pretty bad on VW DI engines.

Soldato
The difference is 99% marketing. All fuels have cleaning additives AFAIK.

They won't really clean this kind of buildup though.

Back
Top Bottom