Keyboard recommendations please!

Man of Honour
Hello

Looking to get a new keyboard for typing and gaming. Happy to pay a price for something premium.

I want to avoid something thunderously loud but also anything that is too / light sensitive. The Razer orange switches looked like a good compromise but those seem long gone for a UK layout....

I was intending on getting a Razer mouse so a companion keyboard would be nice... but again I’m out of by the lack of middle ground with the switches.

cheers!

Associate
I recently bought the razer blackwidow lite its tkl im really happy with it and would recommend as with a mouse i dont feel like you can go wrong with the razer death adder

Soldato
Any switch without specifically low noise design is going to be lot more noisy than membrane/rubber dome keyboard.
There are simply too many hard plastic parts smashing into each others.

Cherry has variant of MX with damping to that noise, but those are available only with linear force curve.
So either light with little feel before key press is registered, or tougher to keep pressed down in gaming.
Non-linear/tactile switches are safer in that they can give some initial resistance before depressing to actuation point, while also being light to keep pressed down.

Logitech's low profile GL switch would be definitely very quiet for mechanical switch, though for some reason tactile version UK keyboards don't seem to be available anywhere.
(Logitech own site says out of stock for both G815 and wireless G915)

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks chaps.

Since I had a Razer Mouse already ordered, I ended up going for the Razer mini huntsman on UK which apparently has a UK layout.... It's not actually on Razer's website so I'm pretty curious to see whether this is truly a UK layout.

I appreciate it'll be super duper light with the red switches, but after playing around on an older keyboard I realised I didn't fancy much travel. Should be good for gaming either way!!

Associate
Thanks chaps.

Since I had a Razer Mouse already ordered, I ended up going for the Razer mini huntsman on UK which apparently has a UK layout.... It's not actually on Razer's website so I'm pretty curious to see whether this is truly a UK layout.

I appreciate it'll be super duper light with the red switches, but after playing around on an older keyboard I realised I didn't fancy much travel. Should be good for gaming either way!!

I don't think the mini in UK layout exists. Only the other Hunstman variants have a UK layout.

Man of Honour
OP
I can't find ANY reference of a UK layout Huntsman mini anywhere lol. Keep us updated, just to see a conclusion to what it is haha.
There is reference to it on a competitor site as 'coming soon'... which made me think it was worth taking a punt!

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

If it does exist, then OCUk would appear to have the first batch before Razer have announced it... we'll see!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raze...h-uk-layout-rz03-03391800-r3w1-kb-13h-ra.html

Photos are clearly wrong... if it is a UK layout ^

I recently asked OCUK sales whether it really is a UK layout, as it doesn't even exist on the Razer Store. They said that their supplier says that it is a UK layout, but using an image of a US layout for the item makes me feel a little uncertain. Not sure whether I can be bothered to buy it, only to have to send it back!

Man of Honour
OP
I recently asked OCUK sales whether it really is a UK layout, as it doesn't even exist on the Razer Store. They said that their supplier says that it is a UK layout, but using an image of a US layout for the item makes me feel a little uncertain. Not sure whether I can be bothered to buy it, only to have to send it back!

@jrwagh333

So it arrived... *drumroll*

booooooo.....

WOILDlZ.jpg

...... ooooooooohhhhhh, result!!

2Y2JhVM.jpg

Everything turned out better than expected!!

Man of Honour
OP
Looks perfect! I look forward to hearing your views after you have used it. I hope (and I would guess) it uses the V2 switches that are quieter
Yes it is quiet.

My initial thoughts are that not having arrow keys is not great! But you can get around this with the function key.

When the tabs are flicked to the back to put the keyboard at an angle, the keyboard is verrrrry slightly unstable and more grippy on one side than the other, which is a very minor flaw that could be foreseeably be solved with a piece of blu-tac. It’s NOT noticeable when typing save that it’s more easy to accidentally shuffle one side back than the other. No issues when the keyboard is flat.

Not able to run any games at the mo so probably not going to be of much further useful commentary :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it is quiet.

My initial thoughts are that not having arrow keys is not great! But you can get around this with the function key.

When the tabs are flicked to the back to put the keyboard at an angle, the keyboard is verrrrry slightly unstable and more grippy on one side than the other, which is a very minor flaw that could be foreseeably be solved with a piece of blu-tac. It’s NOT noticeable when typing save that it’s more easy to accidentally shuffle one side back than the other. No issues when the keyboard is flat.

Not able to run any games at the mo so probably not going to be of much further useful commentary :p

Thanks for letting me know.

I saw another review mention the uneven keyboard feet. That's a right shame considering the price of the keyboard, it's something that should not be at fault, that's for sure.

Very nice to see it has the £ symbol on the correct key for the UK.

Really tempted to pick it up

Soldato
Yes it is quiet.

How has it been? Have you had much typing to do?

Man of Honour
OP
How has it been? Have you had much typing to do?
Yup have had quite of typing to do. At first, typo city because I'm not used to the keys compared to my MacBook. Beyond that, it's fine and I quite like it! The 'leg height' issue seems to have resolved itself, not as pronounced as it was when I first got it out the box so I now consider that a non-issue.

I will say that the lack of arrow keys is annoying, no two ways about it. If you ever rewrite emails or drafts of anything else, you'll find yourself moving the cursor with the mouse because the function key location is just a bit awkward to use with the function arrow keys (L = right etc).

Aside from that fairly major caveat, happy with it!

Back
Top Bottom