• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

KFA2 GeForce RTX 3080 Ti HOF - Coil Whine

Associate
Hi guys,

So I finally got my hands on a 3080 from Overclockers, I went for the 3080 ti upgrade offer of a KFA2 GeForce RTX 3080 Ti HOF.

However I'm getting very loud coil whine when playing some games. I used to get this on my Zotac 2060 when in game menus, but this is much, much worse and is constant during some games.

Has anyone else got this graphics card? Have you got any coil whine issues? Or has anyone got any advice in how to reduce this / what I should do?

I have limited my FPS to 115 as I have a 120hz monitor, I think this helped a little but it's still very loud, I can hear it quite noticeably even over explosions etc going on in the game. Very annoying.

I have also replaced my PSU as my old one was quite old and thought this might help, it made no difference at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Associate
OP
No coil whine on mine. The card is a beast, almost makes up for the fact I turned down a 3090FE at MSRP and only realised what a fool I was about 12 hours after it went. Stupid stupid stupid.
Exact same card? That's interesting, I was going to get a gigabyte eagle instead to try and avoid a repeat issue with this KFA2 card. Maybe I just got an unlucky one...

Associate
OP
Ha, yeah it sure does produce some heat. It is a shame as apart from the coil whine it's a nice card.

I can tolerate some noise, but this is really bad. Never heard coil whine like it before.

Associate
OP
I was looking at the Gigabyte but it seems plagued with problems. Now I'm looking at the hof but the thought of loud coil whine is not nice. My msi gtx1080ti has it but its not too bad, I can't hear it with headphones on.

So much money I hate the thought of it not being right.
General feel and look of the HOF was greatly superior than the gigabyte eagle I had. The HOF felt and looked premium, even the unboxing experience was great. Gigabyte was like a big standard brick. I've opened cereal boxes with more joy.

Just a shame that my HOF had this severe coil whine. I'm on holiday now but will be ordering another HOF when I'm back and hoping it's issue free. I'll update here if I remember.

Associate
OP
UPDATE: I just got my 2nd HOF card today and the coil whine is just as bad as the first card. I'm really disappointed and not sure where to go from here especially as the prices of 3080 ti's has increased.

I might try a 3rd PSU but I doubt it'll change anything. Don't buy this GPU.

Associate
OP
In the end I've ended up with a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC which I managed to find for £970.

Very little coil whine which seems mostly to occur in game menus only, which is not an issue for me. Considering how the prices and stock availability seems to be getting ridiculous again, I'm quite happy I managed to find this card for the price.

Back
Top Bottom