KFC - Downhill?

Soldato
This is primarily about the chicken pieces, as opposed to the burgers/wraps/sides.

I have memories of KFC being glorious in my younger years. Juicy, tender, and coupled with the gravy an absolute win.

We're not huge fast-food eaters by any stretch, but enjoy a nice bit of fried chicken. We've had KFC 3~ times in the last 18 months, each time thinking to myself 'that was awful' with it being dry, the coating thin and somewhat tasteless compared to the glory days of my youth.

You naively hope that the store was just having a bad day, or it was someone new who didn't cook it to a normal standard. But 3 times in a row resulting in disappointment begs the question, has the recipe/quality of the aforementioned juicy goodness simply declined over time?

Their hot wings are still good. but not much else imo.

If i go to KFC.. it's usually for those or their chips and gravy.

go to your local BFC or Chicken Cottage.. I find those tastier than what you get at KFC while being a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
2 of the last 3 times I’ve been to KFC I’ve had food poisoning.

It used to be my preferred fast food restaurant, as I don’t do burgers and stuff. Used to be a fan of the wraps personally.

This is primarily about the chicken pieces, as opposed to the burgers/wraps/sides.

I have memories of KFC being glorious in my younger years. Juicy, tender, and coupled with the gravy an absolute win.

We're not huge fast-food eaters by any stretch, but enjoy a nice bit of fried chicken. We've had KFC 3~ times in the last 18 months, each time thinking to myself 'that was awful' with it being dry, the coating thin and somewhat tasteless compared to the glory days of my youth.

You naively hope that the store was just having a bad day, or it was someone new who didn't cook it to a normal standard. But 3 times in a row resulting in disappointment begs the question, has the recipe/quality of the aforementioned juicy goodness simply declined over time?

Yup I'm EXACTLY the same opinion as you.

15 years ago this was my go to fast food, like you not that I have it all that often but if I did it was KFC over McDonald's BK etc, by a mile.

I basically couldn't understand why you'd go to McDonald's etc.

But just as you, last few years we've had it, it's been very much meh.

No doubt cutting costs somewhere and removing stuff you probably didn't even know about.

Shame. But yes, it's not just your imagination.

If you are ever in south London around the Beckenham area there is a chain called Morley's they **** all over KFC.

Its still the same as it always was just like McDonalds is the same as it always has been.

It's low quality fast food. If they are all following the processes set by head office, what they serve should be very consistent.

It's much more likely that your tastes and standards have changed as you get older than these restaurants going 'down hill'.

I'm of the opinion that the qualifications for taking out a franchise have been lowered and applies to not just KFC.

Pretty sure that many do not give a monkeys as is seen when passing some that have low scores, but are still busy.

I have 2 KFC's near my house. One is Terrible the gravy is watery and the chicken skin is always soft and wet. The other was very good , Very Good consistency on the gravy and the Skin was always Crispy . But on my last order with the family the standards have dropped massively, Its under new management and now is the same as the 1st KFC.

So in my opinion KFC has dropped the ball with picking up standards throughout there stores. The Food is not what it used to be and sadly my fat as wont be going back till it ups its game.

My local KFC is decent enough. I just don't have it that much. Then when I have it I'll enjoy it enough that I think I'll get another one soon then not end up going for a few months

Will never forget ex-co worker from my early 20’s saying they used to dip the chicken in batter poured into cardboard box and black bin liner for the last orders because they’d already cleaned the kitchen ready to go home.

I have the odd one, the key is to pick a busy one, always freshly cooked that way.
In general around here there are less even a couple of McDonald's have closed, people would rather have something a bit nicer.

After they started jacking up the prices I stopped bothering. They're now insanely expensive for a fast-food option, to the point that it's not much more to go and eat out at a restaurant.

It used to be my preferred fast food restaurant, as I don’t do burgers and stuff. Used to be a fan of the wraps personally.
last time we had a KFC was in a services on our way to our honeymoon.
I didn't really eat any but my wife did and was ill for the first two days of the trip. I had a lovely first two days all on my own. :p

Last edited:
Went to a new KFC near us fairly recently and really enjoyed the food, got a meal with a burger and chicken pieces which were really good. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it given it was years since the last one and I never remembered it being nice. However, for me, my wife and our 3 year old we paid £30 or so which was about £10 more than I thought it would be.

Similar for me. The last two me and my partner had made us both ill so never again for us.

Always been a bit hit and miss but the one near where I used to live was usually good, the one where I live now is very poor so we stopped using them - several people who've used them recently have complained of being ill after and looking at their reviews people complaining of the same thing in the last 2-3 months. Looks like new management took over about a month back who appear to be trying to turn it around.

My local one remains pretty decent I think. I tend to keep my order pretty simple though and typically just get chicken and a side of gravy.

I dunno if it's just near me but it's £11 for a meal and it's not great

Back
Top Bottom