KFC - Downhill?

Agreed although air fry has absolutely nothing to do with the small oven that it is! How they get away with it makes me wonder! I genuinely thought it was a healthier fryer when I first heard the term!!

Yea exactly:

Fry:

1 cook (food) in hot fat or oil, typically in a shallow pan.

It's basically fraud.

I only get wings if I go and on offer, theyre bloody rip off "normal" price. Also like local Per Peri shop nearby which does decent chicken at near half the price.
Do love the KFC fries now they got some seasoning on!

Pops

Last edited:
Yup was going to post this as well.

I have a deep fat fryer, and even in that it's not quite the same.

I once looked up a pressure fryer "broiler" I think????? A used gas fired commercial one was about £3k.

I made a big deep fryer out of a used calor gas bottle and an outdoor gas burner, works really well you can do a ton of chicken in it at once, I originally made it to cook a whole turkey which I have done once.

The KFC recipe has been leaked online, so with that at a bit of practice you can get pretty close, but without a pressure fryer you can't get it quite as good.

Edit: seems like everything these are more expensive now:

Probably demand. There seems to be an absolute flood of new independent chicken shops opening now. Uber and just eat apps are chock a block with them. They all need pressure fryers.

You know someone somewhere will have tried to fry chicken in a standard Instant Pot type pressure cooker. I wonder how that went? Probably no one left alive to tell the tale.

Having a few different types of 'Air Fryer' that include steam/air fry, probe and other types of cooking, including the latest that adds sous vide I feel the name has carried on but has failed to update to reflect how they have changed from the early days of basic air fryers.
Again their marketing practices annoy me because a small oven is none of the above! Sous vide for instance requires a water bath and a vacuum packing machine!!

Small weak ovens marketed as air fryers. I say *weak*, nobody would think I was a ‘strong man’ yet if my eight year old son had my strength he would be considered very strong!!! It’s all about downsizing!!!

Last edited:
Again their marketing practices annoy me because a small oven is none of the above! Sous vide for instance requires a water bath and a vacuum packing machine!!

Small weak ovens marketed as air fryers. I say *weak*, nobody would think I was a ‘strong man’ yet if my eight year old son had my strength he would be considered very strong!!! It’s all about downsizing!!!

I remember buying all my air fryers on the basis that they save me money by heating a smaller area, reach temperature much quicker than an oven (home ovens) and cook most if not all foods much quicker than a typical home oven.
I use my Instant Pot (which also includes air fry mode) for sous vide (I have a vacuum machine) and handy for me, with the lid on I do not have to top up the water, even on a 40/50 hour sous vide. When finished I can pat the meat dry, change the lid and air fry some colour into the meat from the same machine.
The latest Dreo Chefmaster has a probe + water injection that many are stating can be very similar to sous vide, but this one will add a crust.

How many air fryers have you tried?

I remember buying all my air fryers on the basis that they save me money by heating a smaller area, reach temperature much quicker than an oven (home ovens) and cook most if not all foods much quicker than a typical home oven.
I use my Instant Pot (which also includes air fry mode) for sous vide (I have a vacuum machine) and handy for me, with the lid on I do not have to top up the water, even on a 40/50 hour sous vide. When finished I can pat the meat dry, change the lid and air fry some colour into the meat from the same machine.
The latest Dreo Chefmaster has a probe + water injection that many are stating can be very similar to sous vide, but this one will add a crust.

How many air fryers have you tried?
I was using them before they were called air fryers. They were simply small ovens they go by names such as merry chef and turbo chef in the catering industry. BTW you can’t ’air Fry’ colour onto meat. You can roast or bake it in your little oven!

I was using them before they were called air fryers. They were simply small ovens they go by names such as merry chef and turbo chef in the catering industry. BTW you can’t ’air Fry’ colour onto meat. You can roast or bake it in your little oven!

Which as you will obviously know modern air fryers have features such as, roast, dehydration and steam to name a few which when used can add colour {crust} to meat, especially as you will know that sous vide makes most meats look anaemic and any heat source will add colour to it, like when I air fry a chicken and the skin changes colour because heat has been included.

I guess you just do not like air fryers and I respect that and will bow out of this pointless convo now.

Last edited:
I Still remember how we used to take no15/25 and go to Tracadero/arcade for the day and a session of skating down Hyde park and lunch was always at Marble arch KFC, what a feast that was. Tried last year, would rather not spoil it for others and be a Nostalgia-pooper

I feel KFc has gone downhill too. Our local always gets the order wrong and the chicken pieces are never cooked enough. I love the seasoning on the chicken pieces and find it's different to the burgers ect.

Back
Top Bottom