Kids ride on cars

Associate
Hi all,

Thinking of buying our 4 year old a ride on this Christmas. Any experiences of if its worth paying more? Or good brands to go for?

See cheapy ones at say the range for £100 and then others at around £300.

I guess you might pay for better battery capacity/charge times but anything else to look out for?

They all end up tossed in the shed/garage after a few days and are never used again. Buy second hand if you really must and save them from landfill.

Last edited:
I bought one for £30. Second hand, (BMW i8 version)
My sons used it 4 times in 8 months.

Its "too slow daddy".

So' i have some 12 -> 24V boxes to go in before the motors. That will speed it up a little. haha

I bought my son a cheap Mickey Mouse battery trike from B&M for about £30 when he was about 3 and he absolutely loved it! He rode the damn thing from getting up to going to bed and it only got passed on to charity when he was too heavy to ride it at about 8 :D

I bought one for £30. Second hand, (BMW i8 version)
My sons used it 4 times in 8 months.

Its "too slow daddy".

So' i have some 12 -> 24V boxes to go in before the motors. That will speed it up a little. haha

Haha, I did this! Bought a cheap 2nd hand Mini with a single 6v motor driving 1 wheel. By the following weekend it was 12v and 2WD.

It eventually ended up 2WD and 24v (although I was tempted to try and find the bits to make it 4WD). It didn't last long before the stock wiring went up in smoke but while it worked it was FAST! I had to run to keep up with it.

I don't think wanting to have a go in it myself did it any favours though, that wiring was NOT happy. I have a bunch of relays here ready to re-wire it, which I need to do before my son gets too big for it.

Hi all,

Thinking of buying our 4 year old a ride on this Christmas. Any experiences of if its worth paying more? Or good brands to go for?

See cheapy ones at say the range for £100 and then others at around £300.

I guess you might pay for better battery capacity/charge times but anything else to look out for?

it's a 4 year old - don't waste your money. they'll be bored in 5 minutes and will have moved on to playing with the boxes and wrapping paper.

They all end up tossed in the shed/garage after a few days and are never used again. Buy second hand if you really must and save them from landfill.

I have to echo the above posts. We bought one for our lad. All singing and dancing with it's own bluetooth "radio" and parental remote control. Beyond Xmas day it was used twice in the following year, ended up on Marketplace just before Xmas the following year.

Back
Top Bottom