Killers' life terms 'breached their human rights'

Soldato
We should throw away the key to the murderers, rapist, pedos etc. I don't care what others think. The law in this country is at its lowest where crims know they will have an easy time behind bars. People like those on here saying they should have this and that are whats making this country soft and an easy target.
It's a real shame that all the facts & evidence go completely against what you think then isn't it.

A five minute read on the average persons views on our criminal justice system is enough justification to scrap the entire idea of democracy.

I've got a really "far out there" idea, how about we look at nations with lower crime rates than ours, nations with higher crime rates & try to find some common factors between the two?.

After doing this you will notice that the "softy nations" enjoy a much lower crime rate.

Soldato
It's a real shame that all the facts & evidence go completely against what you think then isn't it.

A five minute read on the average persons views on our criminal justice system is enough justification to scrap the entire idea of democracy.

I've got a really "far out there" idea, how about we look at nations with lower crime rates than ours, nations with higher crime rates & try to find some common factors between the two?.

After doing this you will notice that the "softy nations" enjoy a much lower crime rate.

This is the UK! Do you not understand that?

We are different in mentality and culture to most of Europe!

Everyone knows that what works abroad ain't going to work here!

Caporegime
I don't even know what to say to these threads anymore but post #41 is alarmingly frequently presented as a sensible outcome and I don't even know how someone can think that, I mean really think that this makes any sense whatsoever.

It's such a blinkered view by, in this case, someone who is young and wants to broaden their horizons and experience new things through travel but deep down it's just EYE FOR AN EYE AMIRITE?

Not really picking on him, it could have been any number of the normal Send em back/Kill em all brigade which make up our amazing forum.

Caporegime
This is what I don't understand, you think it's perfectly normal to let someone out because over a course of time they're now safe?
What kind of ridiculous and fairytale land are you living in? You think a person who gets caught and imprisoned won't try and check all the boxes when being reviewed at the likelyhood of a release?

Of course they will. That's why we have professionals on the parole board so they can make these kind of decisions in an informed fashion. Most likely these men will still be locked up for life all that is changed is when that decisions is made.

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;24583228 said:
I don't even know what to say to these threads anymore but post #41 is alarmingly frequently presented as a sensible outcome and I don't even know how someone can think that, I mean really think that this makes any sense whatsoever.

It's such a blinkered view by, in this case, someone who is young and wants to broaden their horizons and experience new things through travel but deep down it's just EYE FOR AN EYE AMIRITE?

Not really picking on him, it could have been any number of the normal Send em back/Kill em all brigade which make up our amazing forum.

A sensible reply from Resident Magnolia.

Associate
Executing criminals makes sense simply because we won't have them around to worry about. Or pay for.

And it's not just about rehabilitation and/or punishment. It's about keeping them away from civil society.

Soldato
Executing criminals makes sense simply because we won't have them around to worry about. Or pay for.

And it's not just about rehabilitation and/or punishment. It's about keeping them away from civil society.

I would argue a society that wants to execute people just because it's less hassle is one that hasn't reached the definition of civilised anyway ;)

Soldato
This is the UK! Do you not understand that?

We are different in mentality and culture to most of Europe!

Everyone knows that what works abroad ain't going to work here!

So you're suggesting that policies which work well for the rest of Europe won't work here because we're too dissimilar to Europe but we shouldn't change any of our policies to become more like the rest of Europe?

Soldato
Some of the things people say in these threads really does make me worry about the future of our 'civilised' society, I'm not even going to bother to contadict some of the idiocy on display as it really does just leave me with my head in my hands. Seriously poeple think about what your saying when you call for the return of public hanging and full life terms for all murderers etc.

Associate
Who is responsible if the rehabilitation fails? They get released and kill again?
Will the person who ultimately signed the release papers be held responsible and locked up along with the person who did the killing?

Associate
It's got to be a case by case review, rehabilitation does work for many and someone that committed crimes 40 years ago should be in a far fitter state of mind in this present day. Does that mean they should be released, I'm not so sure.

Reviewing them periodically might give them a reason to behave and change their ways, yet never let them leave, mainly for their own safety.

Soldato
Because a life term without the possibility of parole precludes any notion of rehabilitation.

This isn't saying they can't be locked up for their entire lives, it just means they need periodic assessment to see if rehabilitation has worked and they are safe to release into society again.

I don't see the problem?

I'm of the same opinion.

A chance of release doesn't mean release, they probably never will be released be ause of their crime but the right should still be there.

Associate
I would argue that a society that executes people hasn't reached the definition of civilised anyway.

"Civilised" is an utterly relative term. I believe it's civilised for governments to safeguard my safety and not waste my tax revenue on criminals.

What I don't understand is what you get from being a bleeding heart type who thinks 'boohoo let's not kill those poor murderers'.

Happy for you to have that opinion, before you do the liberal thing of telling me that I shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion, but why bother having it? Surely it doesn't help you. Unless you're a criminal or plan to be one.

Associate
I'm of the same opinion.

A chance of release doesn't mean release, they probably never will be released be ause of their crime but the right should still be there.

this is something I feel uncomfortable with, while it is a well meaning gesture, I get the feeling that it would in the end be abused and manipulated, with people being released when they should not be.
A cynical point of view but i would rather just not open this can of worms tbh

Back
Top Bottom