King Arthur - Legend of the Sword

Soldato
So not as bad as it could have been. Do not go into the film expecting yet another telling of the Arthurian legend, this is very far removed.
Think "gangster film set in Camelot".
Good cast, really enjoyed all of the characters and smiles abound when you realise who some of them are. Beckham wasn't as bad as the press seems to be saying, but then attacking someone is par of the course. He was acceptable, although his screen time is only about 5 minutes.
There are flaws, but as this is fantasy, you accept them.
Good action pieces, CGI looked good for the majority of the film, a couple of moments I wasn't so sure.
I'd say well worth a watch. Personal rating of 7/10.

Associate
Not expecting much from this. It's my type of film but the trailer(s) didn't really blow me away.

I like Charlie Hunnam as an actor so I'll take a look at some point.

Soldato
Beckham gets 5 mins on screen? Talking part? That's hilarious.

How many times does this story need to be told anyway? Who is it aimed at?! Young kids don't care, adults aren't very interested or have probably seen 2 or 3 versions of this story by now.

PayDay Lover
Associate
I am somewhat of a sucker for most fantasy, however, the trailer did not really intrigue. Something I will watch when on tv or when a £2 bargain bin DVD.

Also, I don't necessarily believe just because it is a tale told plenty of times that there is not room for more - it is a popular legend. Of course, I do think it means it needs to be done incredibly well for any chance of not being slammed.

I for one would be well up for 'yet more' Arthurian legend if someone did tv/film version of Bernrd Cromwell's books

Caporegime
It's practically a comedy in parts.
I really enjoyed it. It's just a strange London gangster movie with magic and monsters with king Arthur, I mean jax teller.

London accents ahoy, being a Londoner it made me laugh even more.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I know it will be universally panned by critics. I'm sure it will end of losing money, but I'll stand by my original rating. It's a bit of a laugh and I was far from being bored.

Soldato
I predicted this would bomb at the cinemas and it looks like that's happening. I'm really surprised studio execs are stupid enough to greenlight stuff like this, I guess maybe it's harder to tell in the early stages when all you're working with is a script and a possible director/couple of people interested in starring in it. Valerian and the city of a thousand planets is the next film that is going to crash and burn. Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevigne starring, Luc Besson as the director and some idiot gave it a $180 million budget!

Soldato
Luc Besson is a very well accredited Director, Writers for Screen plays and Scripts.
Vlaerian will only do badly because of week after week of big releases this summer.

Back
Top Bottom