King of Clubs..

Soldato
Aye, Dennis Law was the original. It seems to be a special thing between certain players and fans, hence people Cantona and Ruud getting the nickname as well. It's a United thing that other teams have decided to appropriate. Never heard Osgood being calle 'King' before, though. I'll have to ask my dad, Osgood was his boyhood idol.

Permabanned
HumanShield said:
for Wolves

Steve Bull - 306 Goals in 545 games and he is still involved with the club in some capacity (doing charity work i think).

Not Billy Wright? England captain and all round good egg

For me its gotta be Eric

Soldato
I was trying to think of who deserved the honour out of all of Arsenal's players, but I really can't argue with TA6 when you get right down to it. Good call. :)

Man of Honour
Has to be Adams at Highbury for me. Captained the side to the league title in three different decades, not many players at any club can make that claim. Before he came along I'd imagine it would have been Brady.

Le Tissier may be the God of Southampton, but speak to some older fans and they will just as likely be signing the praises of people like Mick Channon.

Associate
For El Roberto....
Ossie scored 2 on his debut against Workington aged 17 in 1964....he was immortalised in song as follows:
(to the tune of The First Noel)

Out from the Shed,
Come a rising young star,
Scoring goals past Pat Jennings from near and from far.
And Chelsea won,
As we all knew they would,
And the star of that great team was Peter Osgood.
Osgood, Osgood, Osgood, Osgood.
Born is the ki-ing of Sta-amford Bridge!

He played 380 games and scored 150 goals - a record only beaten by Bobby Tambling and Kerry Dixon.
He has always been/will be King of Stamford Bridge.

PS - When Mikael Forssell made his full debut for Chelsea aged 17, and scored 2 against Oxford (Chelsea winning 4-2) the same song was sung for him. The only time I have ever heard it sung for anyone but Ossie.

Soldato
fair enough, if it's been immortalised in song than the papers have got it right. I'll not mention it to my dad as he'll probably sing the song at full volume in my ear...and then I'd have to give him a lift down the hospital!

Soldato
sandy10 said:
I thought Ledley was the King at White Hart Lane?
Coat+Door.

Vandle said:
Can anybody guess who Im going to pick?
Robert? ;) :p

For Milan, its a close decision, between Paolo Maldini & Franco Baresi. Swaying towards Maldini though.

For other clubs, i think Chelsea's should be Zola. Osgood's name is only being thrown around due to whats happened. (no disrespect ment to him :) )

Soldato
Could be a few for Wednesday, but from my time there's Sheridan, Waddle, Hirst, Pressman (only cos he'd been there forever, best keeper not to get into the England side in his prime too).

Dad talks about a few from years back, Sterland springs to mind.

For me though it'd be Paul Sturrock. Not a player I know, but he's managing to turn around a club that, for many years, as been on a downward spiral. Finances are getting better etc.

/me waits for Gilly or other Leeds fan to jump in :(

Associate
daz.wallace said:
Has to be King Kenny at 'Pool

Probably, though if Stevie G stays for the rest of his career, hopefully with a few Premiership trophies under his belt, surely the title is his?

Soldato
Houd said:
Probably, though if Stevie G stays for the rest of his career, hopefully with a few Premiership trophies under his belt, surely the title is his?
I wouldnt call a money grabbing man with almost no loyalties a 'king of club'.
Holding a club to random over a contract based on what they win that season is low.

Back
Top Bottom