Kitchen Flooring

Associate
Good Evening,

I am in the process of having a new kitchen installed. My fitter has asked me whether I would like the flooring installed to cover the entire floorplan or only up to the visible areas. The flooring will be click together vinyl. The fitter has suggested that both options are 'normal' and it's just preference.I'm trying to work out the pros/cons and decide what to do.

1) Entire floorplan
+ Full coverage incase you wish to change the kitchen without changing flooring in the future
- Costs more (very little difference given the small kitchen and the saving as a percentage of overall price)

2) Only visible areas
+ Can easily lift up flooring if a panel gets damaged, without requiring cabinets to be moved
- Might restrict flexibility later

I must admit I'm struggling to put together good arguments either way. What would you recommend? If the latter, would you suggest underlay across the entire floorplan for insulation purposes?

For what it's worth the current flooring is ceramic tiles which only run up to the cabinet legs. As such, I'm not sure how tidy they'll come up and how uniform the flooring will be. Therefore, covering it all might be tidier but on the other hand, if it's not covered in areas that I can't see then what's the bother?

Your opinion?

Thank you.

Soldato
Get it done under the appliances eg washing machine regardless of choice.

I've done both and not too bothered either way. If it's a small kitchen probably easiest to do the whole thing but doubt it really matters

Soldato
Get it done under the appliances eg washing machine regardless of choice.

I've done both and not too bothered either way. If it's a small kitchen probably easiest to do the whole thing but doubt it really matters

Yes, obviously if there are gaps id expect plinths on the returns and flooring in the gap going back to the wall/skirting boards

Soldato
Up to legs and under appliances. That way you can change without worrying about the units.

Had a kitchen where we had a slow leak from a stopcock that weaped out for a week I reckon before I noticed the flooring looked odd in the corner, had to rip half for floor up to sort it out which would have been impossible if the units were on the flooring.

Associate
I've also had leaks under units, which has got under flooring and warped, since then I only go just under the legs of units to give access under floorboards and better protection against leaks.

For future kitchen renovations i'd always be changing the floor again anyway.

Back
Top Bottom