Kitchen speakers?

Caporegime
Looking for a speaker solution for the kitchen

Hard to avoid sonos one (gen 2) going by reviews.

Is this the best option?

Need to play Spotify and possibly YouTube, audio books etc

Caporegime
I'd recommend Sonos all day until their recent stunt with wanting to end support for their earlier speakers.

Sonos doesn't support YouTube.

An Echo Show is pretty useful in the kitchen. Can display recipes, have multiple timers and the larger ones sound pretty good. YouTube support is very poor iirc.

Soldato
I have Google home max in the kitchen. They are good for me and fits in with the rest of my house which is full of Chromecast speakers (Inc living room with Sony htst5000).

Caporegime
OP
I have Google home max in the kitchen. They are good for me and fits in with the rest of my house which is full of Chromecast speakers (Inc living room with Sony htst5000).

Are they any good? Can't seem to get away from how the reviews say the speaker quality of sonos is the best for this grade of outlay.

They support AirPlay 2, so you’re good if playing from an Apple device.

No apple devices at home

Caporegime
Looking for a speaker solution for the kitchen

Hard to avoid sonos one (gen 2) going by reviews.

Is this the best option?

Need to play Spotify and possibly YouTube, audio books etc

Google speakers and nest hubs, etc.

If using in the kitchen get the one with the screen for music videos and youtube recipes.

I also like to use the screen to watch my front door when i'm expecting someone and i'm busy cooking so I have advance warning so I can turn stuff off and no need to run to the door, etc.

Google stuff integrates well with nest hello and lots of third party smart home appliances.

Caporegime
OP
Google speakers and nest hubs, etc.

If using in the kitchen get the one with the screen for music videos and youtube recipes.

I also like to use the screen to watch my front door when i'm expecting someone and i'm busy cooking so I have advance warning so I can turn stuff off and no need to run to the door, etc.

Google stuff integrates well with nest hello and lots of third party smart home appliances.

I have a question

Can either of these play sound from a windows pc?

I have a Surface book and it would be great if I could stream YouTube tutorials to the speakers via Bluetooth

Caporegime
I have a question

Can either of these play sound from a windows pc?

I have a Surface book and it would be great if I could stream YouTube tutorials to the speakers via Bluetooth

you can stream youtube videos directly to the nest hub.

as in go on your phone select a video and cast it or say to the speaker play me X on youtube.

Caporegime
OP
Ugh, so I've read the sonos is better (best really) for sound

But dang thing doesn't have Bluetooth.

Need to decide between Bluetooth or sound quality

Soldato
Are they any good? Can't seem to get away from how the reviews say the speaker quality of sonos is the best for this grade of outlay.

No apple devices at home

I can't compare. Never had the Sonos. I'd say I wouldn't pay more than the £200 they've been sold at previously though. At that price point I can imagine they are better value than the Sonos One but you can get a bundle of 2 Sonos ones for not much more than the Google home max is being sold at right now and even a Sonos beam has been not much more previously.

Caporegime
OP
I can't compare. Never had the Sonos. I'd say I wouldn't pay more than the £200 they've been sold at previously though. At that price point I can imagine they are better value than the Sonos One but you can get a bundle of 2 Sonos ones for not much more than the Google home max is being sold at right now and even a Sonos beam has been not much more previously.

Looks like Google max seconds hands prices are much better (ie lose a lot of value)

I'm super annoyed sonos doesn't have Bluetooth. I'd probably use that a lot. I just can't figure out if it's a deal breaker.

Universal reviews say
Sonos sounds better - especially in stereo

And its rare that reviews are all one way in sound

Soldato
Looks like Google max seconds hands prices are much better (ie lose a lot of value)

I'm super annoyed sonos doesn't have Bluetooth. I'd probably use that a lot. I just can't figure out if it's a deal breaker.

Universal reviews say
Sonos sounds better - especially in stereo

And its rare that reviews are all one way in sound

Sonos is all app based and done via wifi right? And you can use voice assistant if you have the right content. So you depend on the functionality of the Sonos app to play whatever content? Not too dissimilar to connecting Bluetooth to phone I suppose?

Soldato
Sonos is all app based and done via wifi right? And you can use voice assistant if you have the right content. So you depend on the functionality of the Sonos app to play whatever content? Not too dissimilar to connecting Bluetooth to phone I suppose?

Don't buy it your music database is 65,000 tracks or more

Caporegime
OP

Apparently there is no way to stream sound from your pc unless it's Spotify (app based )

So YouTube is a no go

Where as work bluetooth you can just pipe sound from pc (whatever the source) to speaker

Back
Top Bottom