Kitchen work top question

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Hi was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this, I need to replace my sagging worktops, but one where a kitchen sink fits into can I get a chipboard-laminate worktop or can I also get a laminate worktop ?

I got a bad feeling the laminate worktop can't have sinks installed in the middle of it ! But maybe a handy man or DIYer would know, cheers :D

Soldato
Unless I've misunderstood you, you cut out the footprint of the sink (but reduce it by 2cm all the way around).
The kitchen sink will then slot into it and then you seal it and screw it in (from underneath, the sink should have fittings for that).

Most laminate worktop is chipboard with a laminated skin.

tnx

tnx

Associate
You can get long straight cutting router bits for doing this job.
Set up some straight edges and you will end up with a very neet job, instead of a wavey line done with a jig saw.
Do it outside, it makes a whole lote more mess though.

Caporegime
Just make sure you seal the chipboard after cutting. Spread some silicone or PVA on the cut section and let it dry before installing the sink. You should do that with all cut ends ideally as it will stop water ingress and warping/swelling.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Exactly what happen to our one, lasted about 5 years before sagging but the above weetabix effect is exactly what happen to ours. I think you have maintain the white silicon seal around the sink and corners every 1-2 years, otherwise once water gets in it goes weetabix and then your lumped with a high bill ! Will need to replace all boards to get them matching now, as well as a new sink + tap and builder cost, so £1 silicon pound shop sealant is a 100% must.

edit as below make sure its a chipboard laminate for under mounted sinks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
thanks guys, yeah I only asked since the one I was getting from wicks says material:
Material: Chipboard-Laminate

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Blocked-Oak-Grain-Effect-Worktop-38x600mmx3m/p/213454

where as this one says:
Material: Laminate
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Noisetier-Wood-Laminate-Worktop-38X600mmX3m/p/141385

everywhere I have read says sinks can be installed in chipboard laminate, so got confused ill ask the guy at wicks to be on the safe side.

Undermounted sinks can't be installed in laminate (well apparently they can, but it's a professional job and difficult), normal top mounted sinks you'll have no issue with.

Annoyingly the chipboard worktop around our sink has blown. Not sure how to fix it really.

Which is why you need to seal all cuts. It helps reduce the chance of this happening. :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Undermounted sinks can't be installed in laminate (well apparently they can, but it's a professional job and difficult), normal top mounted sinks you'll have no issue with.

Which is why you need to seal all cuts. It helps reduce the chance of this happening. :)

Thanks, had a gut feeling it still could not be installed into laminate worktops.

So I was wrong on the above, I do need an under mounted sink installed I will not chance it and stick with work tops with Chipboard-Laminate

Caporegime
Sorry, can't understand that post. :o

When I say laminate I mean chipboard laminate (a laminate countertop is chipboard in the middle and laminated by plastic on top).. If you are using an undermount sink then you'll probably need to go for either real wood/butchers block, stone/granite or a composite like Quartz.

Edit: when you say undermount you mean this?:

leg50501_large_jpg_v_1359308535.jpg

Which is an undermount sink (rim is under the countertop)

This is a standard sink, which is common to install in laminate:

images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_S6p_J5_A2_L0_GAEab_Ui_GF07_Ua_P_B2_Akq.jpg

Rim is over the countertop, covering the cut.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
That was the original question I was asking since its a bit confusing wicks list some of the work tops as laminate and some as laminate chipboard, I was assuming its an error on there site and most if not all the cheapo £65-100 work tops are laminate-chipboard even the ones that say laminate only.

I did speak to Cs (within the kitchen area) to both b&q and selco and they suggest the same as yourself as in real wood is recommended or stone,granite but they never mentioned butchers block.

In the end went with butchers block work top but its still chipboard material, so its rubbish and won't last 5 or 10 years. I will keep the silicon seals redone every few years and perhaps later on down the road go for the real solid oak work tops while they are 2x the price and require higher maintenance it will last a life time if maintained I reckon.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Just make sure you seal the chipboard after cutting. Spread some silicone or PVA on the cut section and let it dry before installing the sink. You should do that with all cut ends ideally as it will stop water ingress and warping/swelling.

thanks yes I checked on YT and saw some guy doing just this method with PVA, tbh water damage still occurred on my old chipboard work tops within years which had PVA on all edges/cuts, but will try same method again it was the silicon seals which left water falling at the back that damaged it really, I will keep the silicon seals updated more regularly!

Caporegime
Butchers block is just a generic term for the wood worktop pattern basically. A wood worktop is not a single piece of wood but a load of pieces glued together, hence the stripy nature of the real wood tops (reduces warping and makes them more dimensionally stable, while making them easier to produce - finding a tree to cut a single piece of 8'x2' worktop would make them uber expensive). I guess you can get butchers block style laminate, like other types, but it's usually specific to real wood., at least from what I understand.

Probably better explained on wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butcher_block

Butcher block (or butcher's block) is a style of assembled wood (often sugar maple, teak, or walnut) used as heavy duty chopping blocks, table tops, and cutting boards.[1] It was commonly used in butcher shops and meat processing plants but has now become popular in home use.[2][3]

There are two basic styles of butcher block: end grain and edge grain.[2]

Butcher blocks have been used in butcher shops for centuries, and still are in many European countries. Increasingly, though, butcher block is being used in domestic kitchens as an alternative to stone and laminate countertops. This has created a new industry in the kitchen design arena and many furniture manufacturers and hardwood flooring companies are getting into the production of butcher blocks and butcher block countertops. One reason is that they can use a lot of the wood that are cut offs from their other products to construct the countertops.

Back
Top Bottom