L plates on motor scooters and food couriers

Soldato
Can you use a motor scooter whilst got an L plate for business use?

Seen so many food couriers - Just Eat, Deliveroo and Uber Eats, riding on motor scooters and motorbikes with L plates.

Many of these riders have no concept or road safety whatsoever. Yesterday, I was driving down a road with shops on it. A lady got out her car and the motor scooter user with a Uber Eats bag, almost collided into her. Then saw a Deliveroo courier riding his motor bike down a one way street the wrong way.

Associate
Yes it's legal to be on L plates and ride for business purposes afaik, as long as they've declared it on their insurance (which i bet not all have).

Soldato
If you have a driving license you can use a 50cc scooter with L plates.

But as already said, I bet many of them don't have insurance or MOT lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't have too much of an issue with the L plates although would prefer they passed a test. What I have a real issue with is that you can ride on L plates for decades without ever needing to pass the theory test or reaction test. That should definitely be needed before you can get a CBT.

Soldato
If you have a driving license you can use a 50cc scooter with L plates.

But as already said, I bet many of them don't have insurance or MOT lol.
There's just no way right? Like how would they afford that, insurance alone must be like £500+
Honestly the police could easily clean up the mess in a few days work if only they could be bothered, but then they might be one of those weird societal benefits - they turn a blind eye, leave them to it, least they are trying to earn money rather than dealing drugs etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom