Lacquer peeled off?

Soldato
I've used lacquer from Halfords no issues.

Some issues I can see from your method is you've washed the wheels and also wet sanded, you need to make sure its fully dry before spraying anything on it. same with priming, give a day to dry off.

Secondly too much time waited between the base layer and laquer, the base layer probably dried and so the laquer didn't have anything to adhere to.

Lastly if you are doing this outside, the cold weather is not going to give you a good finish and you are going to get adhesive issues and others like bubbling.

Soldato
Just dont want to waste another 70 80 to realise same issue again.

Two goes of diy spraying and you've spent near enough £200 which you can get a professional to powder coat them. Better finish, less time wasted, lasts longer etc

I DIY painted my wheels years ago and while i was happy with them, i don't think it's worth the hassle and cost saving and have just had them powder coated ever since.

Your call obviously and good luck with your efforts :)

Soldato
Posting as someone else who failed at DIY refurb. Wheels looked stonkingly good for a few months (pretty much as good as professionally finished)
until the paint/lacquer started to craze and crack. I spent a lot of money on decent materials and it made no difference ultimately.

Don't do it, especially now it's colder and there's more moisture in the air, both of which will act against you getting a decent, long-lasting finish.

Soldato
Wow! That's stupidly cheap. I would expect £100 a wheel for a decent job.
Andi.

£50ish per wheel around here for a good job.

City Powder coaters or whatever they are called do them for £20 if the tyres are removed and reviews are hit and miss. That's certainly not a good guide price everywhere and only helpful if you live in Birmingham and fancy gambling on the finish.

Soldato
£50ish per wheel around here for a good job.

City Powder coaters or whatever they are called do them for £20 if the tyres are removed and reviews are hit and miss. That's certainly not a good guide price everywhere and only helpful if you live in Birmingham and fancy gambling on the finish.

I've had one issue, they rectified it for free.

Soldato
I've had one issue, they rectified it for free.

I'm not disputing that. But it's exceptionally cheap and not representative of the cost of a wheel refurb nationally and I've not used them, but a quick google suggests they are very inconsistent in service/quality and a bit of a gamble.

eg
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/124948-city-powder-coaters-beware/
vs
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/c...-recommended-£80-per-set-for-a-refurb.619975/

I'd be happy with the cliosport work, but not the tyresmoke work.

At £20 it may be worth a punt if you're local, but by the time anyone any distance away has travelled/shipped their wheels, they may as well have their wheels done locally at somewhere reputable.

City Powder Coaters is not the answer to every wheel refurb thread!

Soldato
I'm not disputing that. But it's exceptionally cheap and not representative of the cost of a wheel refurb nationally and I've not used them, but a quick google suggests they are very inconsistent in service/quality and a bit of a gamble.

eg
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/124948-city-powder-coaters-beware/
vs
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/city-powder-coating-in-birmingham-highly-recommended-£80-per-set-for-a-refurb.619975/

I'd be happy with the cliosport work, but not the tyresmoke work.

At £20 it may be worth a punt if you're local, but by the time anyone any distance away has travelled/shipped their wheels, they may as well have their wheels done locally at somewhere reputable.

City Powder Coaters is not the answer to every wheel refurb thread!

You used bad review from 8?! Years ago...

The problem is, you can get a really good job for under £100 a set. Why do some companies think it's appropriate to charge £50-£100 per wheel? Just laughable to be fair.

Associate
OP
Recently resprayed the driver side wheel to see what would happen and got bad results. This time round, I used the E TECH wheel lacquer but just 3 weeks after respraying the wheel, The lacquer peeled off again. I think im going to just wait and fork out some money for professional powder coating.

Thanks.

Caporegime
the heavy duty halfords lacquer I used

Here lies the problem I fear, not the best quality product in the first place.

To be honest for the time and effort involved I’d far rather just get the wheel powder coated (I did, see below) 9nYErPU.jpg , far better job, it’ll be durable and somebody else is doing the donkey work and you have come back in the event of any problem.

Mine were flaking slightly and I researched doing it myself but in the end I’m glad I didn’t - I’d have got nowhere near that result no matter what products I’d used.

Back
Top Bottom