‘Laggy’ Fortnite on gaming PC

Associate
Good Evening,

First post for me. I’ve recently taken on a gaming PC conversion with my son. The main reason is for him to play Fortnite at a higher level compared to his Xbox.

We bought a second hand Dell machine, and have upgraded various bits. I’ll list the current spec below. We’re running it via a wireless USB WiFi dongle connected to the home Sky broadband network. This is giving 65mps download speeds routinely.

the issue only occurs in Fortnite ‘battle royale’ and results in the game pausing, lagging, whatever it’s called, and makes it unplayable. All other game types work and the machine is reliable on everything else.

Does anyone have any idea? The Xbox is wireless WiFi and never had this issue, so I’m not convinced a wired internet will solve it?

GeoForce gtx 1050ti 4gb graphics card
Intel core i5-3470
8gb RAM
1tb HDD
Upgraded power supply
SAMSUNG curved gaming monitor 144fps

Soldato
That, or setting an FPS cap so the CPU doesn't work at 100% (which is something you could check with HWiNFO64 or Afterburner+Rivatuner). HWiNFO would be easier. Just enable a CPU usage sensor on the system tray, and play in windowed mode so you can see it. If the lag/stutter occurs when CPU usage hits near 100%, you have your answer.

Soldato
check settings or drivers.

i upgraded a dell 620 with an i5 2400 & msi gaming 2gb rx 760 and after a few initial laggy moments whch i will base on ok wifi signal then it runs from 80-110fps on high settings, ok its hooked up to an ? x 900 screen, but still would run smoothly on a 720 display if i got hold of one.

Back
Top Bottom