Laggy PC

Associate
I've just fitted a new motherboard and CPU, an I7 10700k and a an Asus ROG Strix z490 e. Seems fine, but strangely it lags when opening programs, but is particularly bad at browsers it takes at least 30 s to open chrome or Edge.
I've been a bit lazy in not doing a reinstall of the OS. Is this punishment from the PC Gods? Anyone else encountered this problem

Soldato
You mean you installed new hardware but kept the same OS on the disk?

Then yea that explains why it's slow. Drivers are different, the HAL of the CPU is different, expect blue screen eventually.

Reinstall the OS and everything will be rosy again.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I thought that might be the case. Just being lazy. Hate reinstalling everything. On a side note, is it really worth upgrading my boot drive to a pcie ssd? I'm using a sata ssd right now

Associate
On a side note, is it really worth upgrading my boot drive to a pcie ssd? I'm using a sata ssd right now
Very minor difference. Not worth. Maybe if you also move to a bigger drive.
Your lagginess does smell like related to storage issue.
Before you start reinstalling, try and update chipset drivers. Check that SATA AHCI is turned on in bios.

Associate
OP
I updated all the drivers including the chipset when I upgraded the components. But I done think I adjusted the bios much and definitely not the sata settings. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom